My husband and I are both big sushi fans. Such big sushi fans in fact, that we named a day of the week "Sushi Tuesday". When we were living in Hong Kong every Tuesday we would visit our favourite sushi place in our neighbourhood Tai Hang. Why Tuesday? That's when the fresh catch would come in.
Now that we are in New York, I figured that if I could make it at home, we could have it as often as we want without spending a lot of money! Sushi is actually super easy to make. There's minimum washing up and it goes down well with a nice glass of white wine. Perfect for a romantic night in cuddling up on the sofa!
It is also a very versatile dish, you can fill sushi with almost anything you like. So don't be shy, be creative and go crazy!
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Estimated Cost: $10
- 4 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 4 sheets of Nori (dry seaweed)
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup of sushi rice
- 1 small pack of smoked salmon (100g)
- 1 small cucumber
- 2 eggs
- In a medium saucepan, bring 1 1/2 cups water to a boil. Add rice, and stir. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes.
- In a small bowl, mix the rice vinegar, sugar ,and salt.
- When the rice is ready, pour in the prepared vinegar mixture over the rice.
- Stir the rice gently in vertical motion with one hand, while fanning the rice with a paper in the other hand until the rice is cooled to room temperature.
- Lay out a sheet of seaweed on a bamboo sushi mat. Wet your hands. Using your hands, spread a thin layer of rice on the seaweed, and press into a thin layer.
- Arrange 1/4 of the cucumber, egg and smoked salmon, in a line down the center of the rice. Lift the end of the mat, and gently roll it over the ingredients, pressing lightly. Roll it forward to make a complete roll. Repeat with the rest of the ingredients.
- Cut each roll into 4 to 6 slices using a wet, sharp knife.
- Serve with soy sauce, wasabi and pickled ginger
Carmen's touch : Keep your hands wet, so the rice does not stick to your hands.
Husband Says: "Pure sushi love. I'll eat them all if she doesn't eat quickly. True story."
Sign up here with your email