My beloved grandmother used to make lovely fish cakes, they were crispy and tender at the same time. I never got any tummy ache from them unlike that ready-made crap in the supermarket, which are often filled with things you would rather not eat.
I never got to find out how my grandma made hers, but luckily I did find this Shredded Potato Salmon Cake recipe on Allrecipes.com. I did end up making some changes with the ingredients. Since I am sensitive to spicy stuff, I had to take out the banana peppers. I've also replaced the red bell peppers with green peppers as I prefer their stronger taste. I also used white onions instead of the red onions...Mmm.
Cook time: 50 minutes
Serve: 2 -3
Estimated Cost: $10
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and shredded
- 1/2 pound cooked boneless Salmon fillet
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon Italian herbs
- 1 large white onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 3/4 cup dry bread crumbs
- salt and pepper to taste
- Squeeze out as much liquid from the potato shreds as you can, and place it in a sieve to drain out the excess water.
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs with salt and Italian herbs, and mix in with the potato shreds. Mix in salmon, onions, capers, green bell pepper and bread crumbs.
- Make about 12 patties of about 1/2 inch thick by using your hands
- Heat 1/4 inch of oil in a large heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Fry the patties for about 3 minutes per side, or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels quickly before serving.
- Serve with Salad
Sign up here with your email