Salmon And Potato Fish Cakes Recipe: A New Take On A Childhood Favourite

My beloved grandmother used to make lovely fish cakes, they were crispy and tender at the same time. I never got any tummy ache from them unlike that ready-made crap in the supermarket, which are often filled with things you would rather not eat.

 

I never got to find out how my grandma made hers, but luckily I did find this Shredded Potato Salmon Cake recipe on Allrecipes.com. I did end up making some changes with the ingredients. Since I am sensitive to spicy stuff, I had to take out the banana peppers. I've also replaced the red bell peppers with green peppers as I prefer their stronger taste. I also used white onions instead of the red onions...Mmm.

 

Cook time: 50 minutes

Serve: 2 -3

Estimated Cost: $10

 

Ingredients:

  • 3 medium potatoes, peeled and shredded
  • 1/2 pound cooked boneless Salmon fillet
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 teaspoon Italian herbs
  • 1 large white onion, chopped
  • 1 green bell pepper, seeded and diced
  • 3/4 cup dry bread crumbs
  • salt and pepper to taste

Preparation:

  1. Squeeze out as much liquid from the potato shreds as you can, and place it in a sieve to drain out the excess water. 
  2. In a large bowl, beat the eggs with salt and Italian herbs, and mix in with the potato shreds. Mix in salmon, onions, capers, green bell pepper and bread crumbs. 
  3. Make about 12 patties of about 1/2 inch thick by using your hands
  4. Heat 1/4 inch of oil in a large heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Fry the patties for about 3 minutes per side, or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels quickly before serving. 
  5. Serve with Salad  
Husband Says: "I enjoyed Carmen's changes to the recipe. The green peppers gave it a stronger flavor to counteract the salmon somewhat, but not overpowering. Everything worked really well together. I also prefer white onion and think that change worked out. Absolutely delicious. Will visit Carmen's Kitchen again for the salmon cakes! Wonder what I'll have to tip her next time... 0_0"
Previous
Next Post »

1 comments:

Write comments
Amateur Cook
AUTHOR
March 22, 2014 at 7:55 PM delete

Yes that does sound delicious alright. I can just splurt some spicy sauce onto mine as I don't mind things hot. `•¸•´

Reply
avatar