Chicken And Vegetable Fried Rice Recipe: Tastiest Leftovers


Fried Rice is an extremely popular meal in many Asian cuisines perhaps because there are so many ways to make a quick fried rice dish. I hate to waste food and I simply cannot bring myself to throw out any perfectly good leftover food. I have discovered that fried rice is the perfect way to use up leftovers. Seriously. It is.

A Quick story about this recipe:  I randomly raided the fridge one rainy day (too lazy and cozy to go to market!) and managed to find enough leftovers to whip up this chicken and vegetable fried rice recipe. I was surprised how vibrant and colourful it looks, and  that it came out almost as good as the fried rice I used to get from my favourite take-away place in Hong Kong!

Cook Time: 20 mins

Estimate cost: $ 5  ( or nothing if you are using leftover )

Serve 2- 3

Ingredients

  • 1/2 (12 oz.) chicken breast, diced
  • 1 large egg  ( beaten )
  • 1 1/2 cup of cooked rice ( Be sure to cook the rice ahead of time so it has time to cool down )
  • 1 tablespoons soy sauce 
  • 1 teaspoons sesame oil
  • 1 small onion, chopped
  • 1 cup of  frozen mixed vegetables
  • Salt and Pepper to taste

Preparation

  1. Mix chicken pieces with soy sauce and sesame oil. Allow it to marinade for 30 minutes.
  2. Heat a tablespoon of oil in a large pan. Stir-fry prepared chicken for 2-3 minutes or until lightly golden. Transfer chicken to a plate.
  3. Add vegetable oil to a pan and fry onion for 3 minutes. When the onion has softened, stir in vegetables and cook for 1 minute  The turn up the heat (make sure the pan is hot enough) and stir in rice and cook  for 3 minutes, keep tossing and mixing with a wooden spoon.
  4. Finally, stir in egg mixture and soy sauce, heat through. Serve warm.

Husband Says: "She makes it. I eat it. Happily. No joke on it being comparable to authentic Hong Kong rice! "
Previous
Next Post »

1 comments:

Write comments
Andrea
AUTHOR
January 19, 2012 at 1:15 PM delete

this look so delish. I've been able to make a good chicken chow mein but not fried rice. I will have to try this recipe next time.

Reply
avatar