Shepherd's pie is old-fashioned British pub grub I cannot live without and I have always wanted to make it for my husband! I finally got around to making this homey dish this week and it was a (great) success. However, my recipe also turned out to be not quite true to this great comfort pies' history. I later found out that proper Shepherd's Pie is meant to be made with Lamb rather than beef, (which made a lot of sense since shepherds keep sheep not cows ). But since the recipe was so good, I have decided to keep it as it is and give it its proper name, that's how this Cottage Pie recipe was born.
Cook Time: 1 hour
Estimated Cost: $ 8
- 1 1/2 lbs minced beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 large potatoes
- 1 cups mixed vegetables (carrot cubes, corns, peas )
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup of cooking wine
- 1 cup of gravy (prepared according to pack instructions)
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Peel potatoes, cut them into pieces. Boil them in salted water until tender (about 20 minutes).
- Fry onions in butter until tender over medium heat.
- Add minced beef and cook until no longer pink. Add salt and pepper. Add Worcesterchire sauce, wine. Saute over low heat for 10 minutes. Add in mixed vegetables and gravy
- Mash potatoes in bowl with butter.
- Place cooked mince and veggies in baking dish. Spread mashed potatoes on top.
- Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes, or until golden-brown and bubbling.
Sign up here with your email