I want to dedicate this recipe to my wonderful mother-in-law, who despite of her busy festival schedule, still found time to give me advice and even put it down in a long email! And to my aunt in Chicago, who patiently explained the whole turkey cooking process to me on the phone. Twice.
If it wasn't for these two great ladies, and as my husband would say, "character building" action, of putting my hand up the turkey 's arse and pulling out his dead chopped off head, our first Thanksgiving turkey would would never have even happened.
Cook Time : about 4 hours
Serve: 6 ( or 2 people for 3 days )
Estimated Cost: $25
- 1 whole turkey ( e.g 14 Ib )
- 1 large Onions , quartered
- 1 Lemon, halved
- A lot of butter
- Chicken Broth
- Garlic powder
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- (Optional) Marinate Injection: See Butter Based Injection Sauce by Derrick Riches
- A few hours before cooking (or ideally the night before) rinse thawed turkey under cold water & pat dry with paper towels. Using your fingers, carefully loosen the skin around the bird. Melt 2 cubes of butter. If you have Poultry Seasoning add 1 1/2 tsp of it to the melted butter. Add salt, pepper, 1/4 tsp. garlic powder & set aside. Inject the turkey with marinate injection.
- Pre-heat the oven to 450 degrees.
- Chop pieces of butter and put under the skin of the turkey. Baste the outside of the turkey skin with the butter and herb mixture.
- Put salt & pepper inside cavity of turkey and stuff turkey cavity with quarter pieces of onions and lemon halves. Truss ( use those little metal stakes that come with string especially for to sew up the openings of the turkey and tie around the wings and legs.
- Place the turkey breast side up in a roasting pan. Place in pre-heated oven and reduce temperature to 325 degrees. Pour chicken broth into roasting pan around turkey.
- Roast for 1 hour then baste with pan juices and more of the melted butter mixture every 30 minutes.
- When the turkey looks dark golden brown cover with tin foil. Continue roasting about 2 hrs (or more, depending on the size of the turkey, see Turkey Dinner Calculator)
- Take turkey out of oven and let sit for 30 minutes.
Sign up here with your email