Coconut Chicken Curry Recipe: Can't Handle Spicy Food? No Problem!


Everybody loves curry. It has long taken over fish and chips as the nation favourite dish in Britain. My husband is a curry fanatic, he loves all sort of curries. I am not a curry lover, I actually  have allergic reactions to spicy food. Anytime I have food that is too spicy I turn into a one woman itchy-and-scratchy show. But that doesn't stop me from cooking curries.

I have always wanted to make a non-spicy curry for people like me who are allergic or sensitive to spices, and kids in the house can also enjoy this yummy dish.

It took me a while to figure out how to tone down the spicinese without losing the taste and flavours of curry powder.

And here it is, a non-spicy curry that even the most fanatic of curry aficionados would enjoy.

Cook Time:  30 minutes

Serves : 4

Estimate Cost:  $8

Ingredients:
  •  4 chicken breasts, diced
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 1 tablespoon, Ginger powder
  • 2 garlic cloves , minced
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons curry powder
  • 4 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
  • 2 cups coconut milk
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 1 1/2 cup chicken stock

Directions:

1. In a large pan, saute onion in oil until tender.
2. Add garlic, saute for another minute.
3. Add coconut milk, curry powder and ginger powder and cook for 1 minute.
4. Mix in chicken, potatoes,  and enough stock to cover, bring to boil.
5. Cover and simmer for 25 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
7. Serve with rice or naan bread.

Husband says: "I like it, even though it didn't make me sweat or spend an hour on the toilet groaning. That usually goes hand in hand with spicy curry. Its part of the charm. My wife has taken that charm out of it with her recipe, and actually, upon reflection and a decent night's sleep without getting up and running to the can, I appreciate it, and she probably does too. Heh. If you're looking for an alternative to the sweats and multiple bathroom visits that's delish, this is it!"
Previous
Next Post »

6 comments

Write comments
Rodeo Bucket
AUTHOR
January 26, 2012 at 2:11 PM delete

This is a must recipe for me. I love curry, my husband won't eat it. Maybe now he will. I have had to cut way back to having curry because of the stomach stuff that comes with it. I am thrilled to find a recipe where I can enjoy it more than once or twice a year. Thank you!!

Reply
avatar
InfoPresenter
AUTHOR
April 1, 2012 at 2:41 PM delete

Interesting curry, and nice to have a curry recipe which can be made without being too spicy. Thanks !

Chris
http://www.amazon.com/Butter-Chicken-Recipes-Popular-ebook/dp/B007N709E0/ref=sr_1_2?

s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1333304423&sr=1-2

Reply
avatar
PeterDWriter
AUTHOR
May 31, 2012 at 12:34 PM delete

I plan to try this recipe, although I may merge it with one that I use for Indian style meatballs. For that recipe, the sauce is similar, but also includes coarsely diced yellow, red and/or orange bell peppers. The meat balls started out as lamb, but shifted to turkey after I lost my job a few years ago. Still taste great. Your recipe requires much less work and sounds just as tasty. I will give it a try your way and then decide if I want to add the bell peppers and possibly the mild Rotel tomatoes I use in mine. Thanks for posting.

Reply
avatar
Leona
AUTHOR
June 18, 2013 at 1:09 PM delete

Recipe looks great. Do you recommend cooking the chicken first?

Reply
avatar
September 28, 2013 at 4:20 PM delete

I made this last night for 5 kids ages 6-11 and they ALL liked it! Wow; that's nearly impossible. Thank you so much for this easy and yummy recipe!

Reply
avatar
Prasad Kumar
AUTHOR
August 10, 2014 at 11:51 PM delete

This is definitely one of the must-try Indian recipes. I so love the thickness and creaminess of the coconut curry dish. The flavor and spice in the meat is surely mouthwatering I so love it. Lemme share this to my Pinterest board.

Cheers xxx
Prasad

Reply
avatar