Gambas A La Plancha 'Grilled King Prawns': Easy Authentic Spanish Tapa

While Japan is the best place in the world to eat raw seafood, Spain is definitely the best place  to eat cooked seafood. The long coastline of Spain ensures fresh seafood is a main element of  Spanish diet. My all-time favorite is 'Gambas a la Plancha', fresh prawns grilled on a flat cast-iron griddle.

I first encountered this tasty dish when I was traveling in Spain, where it was called the" Ironed Shrimps" on a not-so-well translated menu. I was curious so I ordered some. I am glad I did, it turned out to be so delicious, the prawns were juicy and  fresh, and were grilled to perfection with olive oil, salt and some lemon juice.

My aunty got me a big bag of frozen King Prawns from Costco last week. (Thanks Aunty Rebecca) so I whipped up this dish in no time!

Cook time : 5 minutes

Cost: $10 per pound   

Ingredients:

  • 8 King Prawns
  • Salt
  • 1 large lemon

Preparation:

  • Wash prawns and drain. Cut lemon in half.
  • Heat grill or frying pan to high heat. Pour in 2 tablespoon of olive oil. Place prawns on pan, sprinkle salt. Squeeze lemon juice directly over prawns. Cook for 2 minutes, turn them over and sprinkle more salt and lemon juice.
  • Prawns should turn pink and shells should turn golden when cooked. It should take no more than 4 minutes.
  • Serve with melted garlic butter.
Husband Says: "OMG. Soooooooooooooooooo goooooooooooooooooooooooooooood. Going to have to join costco just to get my hands on more big bags of these babies. Scrimps! Love em."
    Previous
    Next Post »

    11 comments

    Write comments
    Elisabeth
    AUTHOR
    January 31, 2012 at 11:27 PM delete

    Hi Carmen-these prawns are my absolute favorite, just like you made them. Grill them with their shells on it, it has more flavor, and keeps it moist. Yummm, and more yumm...great post!

    Reply
    avatar
    Elpiniki
    AUTHOR
    February 1, 2012 at 3:54 AM delete

    These prawns look amazing! Great presentation too!

    Reply
    avatar
    Liam
    AUTHOR
    February 1, 2012 at 5:52 AM delete

    Omg I love prawns so much and I love Tapas! Great post Carmen :)

    Have a Happy Wednesday! :D

    Liam @ buttercarb.blogspot.com

    Reply
    avatar
    Abby
    AUTHOR
    February 1, 2012 at 9:10 AM delete

    What a great way to cook prawns! Can't wait to try this.

    Reply
    avatar
    Red_Shallot
    AUTHOR
    February 1, 2012 at 10:42 PM delete

    Carmen,
    I'm drooling already LOL. Simplicity at its best.

    Reply
    avatar
    February 2, 2012 at 3:40 PM delete

    Thank you so much for all the nice comments!

    Reply
    avatar
    Tina
    AUTHOR
    February 2, 2012 at 4:50 PM delete

    This sure does make me want to grill some prawns, these look delicious! I am not a member of Costco, but I will try looking around at Sams to see if they have these. When it comes to seafood, the less additional ingredients the better-well done.

    Reply
    avatar
    February 2, 2012 at 7:13 PM delete

    One of my favorite seafood,looks perfectly cooked,YummY,,,,i'm hungry now :)
    Ridwan

    Reply
    avatar
    Soni
    AUTHOR
    February 4, 2012 at 1:14 PM delete

    Beautiful!Love tapas and Shrimp is my absolute favorite!Will definitely be trying this recipe Carmen :)

    Reply
    avatar
    February 4, 2012 at 7:08 PM delete

    What a wonderful seafood dish! And if it's man-approved - I am in! Happy to be your newest follower! You have a lovely blog!

    Reply
    avatar
    Azlin Bloor
    AUTHOR
    February 6, 2012 at 4:35 PM delete

    I love Gambas in any shape or form! These look so wonderfully done, I absolutely love Spanish Tapa!
    www.LinsFood.com

    Reply
    avatar