Ham is an extremely versatile kind of meat, it goes with almost everything. Some people like to keep it simple and leave it plain. While some like to glaze baked ham with honey, cinnamon, mustard or oranges. Some even bake it with beer. You just can't go wrong, so feel free to let your culinary imagination go crazy and create your own signature glaze.
Serve: 6-8 (with leftovers)
Cook Time: 2 hours
Estimate Cost: $18
- 1/2 uncured smoked ham ( butt / shank ), bone-in
- 250g honey
- 200g brown sugar
- 25ml sweet vinegar
- 100ml Sherry wine
To make glaze
Mix sugar ,honey, vinegar and sherry in a saucepan and bring to boil.
To cook ham
- Preheat oven to 325F.
- Using a sharp knife, cut through the rind and fat until you reach the meat, making the incisions 1/2"
- Place ham upside down on a rack in a shallow roasting pan, cover loosely with tin foil, roast 20 minutes per pound
- Remove ham half an hour before end of cooking time, apply honey glaze on the rind.
- When roasted, the meat should be moist and tender and the rind (or crackling) very crisp.
- Let the ham cool outside the oven for 10-15 minutes before serving.
Sign up here with your email