Teriyaki Beef Rice Bowl Recipe: Japanese Fast Food At Home

In Japan, there is a very popular meal called Donburi! It is a big bowl of rice topped with meat cooked in a sweet, soy based sauce.There are many kinds of rice bowl dishes in Japanese cooking - the most famous are beef rice bowl and chicken and egg rice bowl. These meals are fast and cheap, and they are very popular at lunch hour in Japan
I have been craving for this wonderful hug-in-a-bowl comfort meal for awhile, and it just happened that my aunt gave me some shabu shabu beef the other night when we went for hotpot. So I decided to have a go at it. I used Teriyaki sauce instead of the soy sauce to give it an extra sweet kick. It turned out so delicious that it got eaten by my husband in record breaking time!

Cook Time: 15 minutes
Serves : 2 -3
Estimated Cost: $8

Ingredients

-200g thinly sliced beef (I use the shabu shabu cut)
-1 large onion, sliced thinly
-100 ml white wine
-120 cup water
- 60 ml Teriyaki sauce
- 2 tablespoons sugar
-180 ml Mirin (Japanese cooking Sake)  you can buy this in any Asian Supermarket or
 substitute it with white cooking wine mixed with sugar

Preparations
  1. In a medium-size saucepan, mix 1 cup of white wine and 1/2 cup water. Bring to boil. 
  2. Put in beef slices and onions, and let them simmer for a few minutes. 
  3. Add Teriyaki sauce, Mirin and sugar. Cover and cook for a further 3 minutes.
  4. Prepare cooked rice in bowls and add beef with the sauce on top.
Husband Says: "Pretty sure this dish was my idea. :) But being the lovely husband that I am, I'll let this one go. Nom nom nom."
    Previous
    Next Post »

    10 comments

    Write comments
    Red_Shallot
    AUTHOR
    January 28, 2012 at 11:28 PM delete

    My kind of comfort food also. Looks delicious.

    Reply
    avatar
    Tina
    AUTHOR
    January 29, 2012 at 6:36 AM delete

    Quick and delicious-perfect for a busy weekday. Wish I had been there to taste this! thanks for sharing the recipe.

    Reply
    avatar
    Azlin Bloor
    AUTHOR
    January 29, 2012 at 4:46 PM delete

    Looks absolutely mouth watering! I love teriyaki and it's such a quick dish to make as well! Am following you too, sorry it's taken me a few days! Looking forward to sharing! xx

    Reply
    avatar
    Nish
    AUTHOR
    January 30, 2012 at 12:11 AM delete

    Oh wow, I've been looking a recipe like this for sometime! It looks so good and I'll definitely be trying this out soon :)

    Reply
    avatar
    Elpiniki
    AUTHOR
    January 30, 2012 at 4:00 AM delete

    Looks so delicious!
    Great presentation!

    Reply
    avatar
    Soni
    AUTHOR
    January 30, 2012 at 11:40 AM delete

    Lovely recipe Carmen!I don't eat beef, but i guess i can chicken or lamb.Btw I've got a surprise for you ;)Check out my new post and email me ;)

    Reply
    avatar
    January 31, 2012 at 3:55 PM delete

    That's one of my favorite meal, it looks delicious:P

    Reply
    avatar
    February 2, 2012 at 3:35 PM delete

    Thanks for all the nice comments! Enjoy the recipe!

    Reply
    avatar
    March 1, 2012 at 12:38 AM delete

    Love teriyaki ANYTHING! This looks indeed yummy!

    Reply
    avatar