Crab And Corn Soup: Soup Perfect For Those 'Feeling Under The Weather Days'

When my husband came home early yesterday with some kind of flu featuring a runny nose and a throat so sore that he couldn't swallow anything, I changed dinner plans at the very last minute. I raided the kitchen and found 2 cans of creamed corn, and some frozen crab sticks. So I  decided to make him a Cream Corn and Crab soup. 

Soup for the sick doesn't have to be boring and tasteless. This cream corn and crab soup has plenty of vitamins and protein from the corn and eggs,  and it’s not too heavy on the stomach. Its a nice, hot, comfy dish and it's really easy to make.  My poorly hubby seems to have enjoyed it very much, at least what he could taste.

I enjoyed it very much too. It was rich, creamy and flavorful. I might have made this because my husband was sick, but  I can totally see myself making this any day. 

 

Cook Time: 30 minutes

Serves: 2 - 4

Estimates Cost: $5

Ingredients

  • 1 can of cream style corn
  • 1 cup.of cooked lump crab meat. (I used shredded crab sticks instead, I didn't have fresh one in the house)
  • 4 cups. of chicken broth
  • 5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 2 eggs, beaten
  • salt, to taste
  • Optional white pepper 
Preparation
  1. Mix flour with 1 cup of chicken broth.
  2. Bring the rest of the broth and corn to boil over medium heat. Stir in the flour mixture, keep stirring for a minute to prevent lumps from forming. Season with salt. 
  3. Cover, lower the heat and cook for about 10 minutes
  4. Add the shredded crab sticks. Continue simmering for another minute.
  5. Pour in the beaten eggs in a thin stream in circular motion. Continue to stir gently until the egg white sets, this will create shreds of egg white
  6. Adjust seasoning if necessary. 
Sick Husband Says: "Cough, hack, wheeze, sniffle sniffle. My wife said to me yesterday, 'Don't sneeze!' which means, 'Don't sneeze your germs on my side of the bed! I'll make you soup to feel better!' I do love her so. I took her up on the offer and only sneezed onto her side of the bed when she was out of the room. Shhh! I got soup out of it. Sneeze hack cough cough. It indeed was good and perfect for my degenerative state of ickiness that I'm currently suffering through. I'd happily eat it again in a healthy state. In the meantime, I shall try my best not to sneeze. :) "

Previous
Next Post »

11 comments

Write comments
Soni
AUTHOR
February 17, 2012 at 8:49 PM delete

Lovely and creamy soup Carmen.Warm and comforting for any day!Can I make these with shrimp?I don't have crabsticks, but have shrimp sitting in my freezer.

Reply
avatar
Vrinda
AUTHOR
February 17, 2012 at 9:16 PM delete

Thanx for stopping by my blog..The perfect winter soup,nice combo too...

Reply
avatar
February 18, 2012 at 12:10 AM delete

I hope your husband feels better soon! Soup looks good.

Reply
avatar
Elpiniki
AUTHOR
February 18, 2012 at 5:06 AM delete

This soup looks really tasty and comforting!
Hope u feel better soon!

Reply
avatar
Tina
AUTHOR
February 18, 2012 at 6:37 AM delete

I sure hope your hubby feels better and that he does not pass his cold germs to you!
Love the combo of crab and creamed corn-definitely something I would like to try. I have never seen a recipe like this, you did make great use of what you had on hand. It looks delicious-well done!

Reply
avatar
Alida
AUTHOR
February 18, 2012 at 9:13 AM delete

What an interesting recipe. I love corn in any form possible.
You have great recipes. I will follow you!

Reply
avatar
Elisabeth
AUTHOR
February 18, 2012 at 9:28 AM delete

Carmen, I really love the creamy texture, and the combination of the corn, and crab, of this comforting soup! I hope your hubby feels better soon. Nothing like a big bowl of steaming hot, homemade soup for a cold. You're such a sweet, loving, and caring wife for him. I'm sure he knows it:DDD

Reply
avatar
February 18, 2012 at 3:18 PM delete

Thank you everyone! @soni,I have never tried it with shrimps but I think shredded shrimp meat will work very well too! So I would say try it,let me know how it turns out :)

Reply
avatar
February 19, 2012 at 12:46 AM delete

This does look perfect for the lingering cold weather!

Reply
avatar
Mario
AUTHOR
February 20, 2012 at 11:48 AM delete

Hi Carmen! First of all, thank you for the friend add on FB. Second of all, this is my first visit to your blog. In one word: Wow! You have done an amazing thing here. Your theme of "Cooking Adventures of a New Bride" is so cool. Who can't identify with that feeling? My wife of 38 years was once there and I was part of that journey. Your layout is professional. Your photos are well lit and sharp. Your recipes easy to follow. And your writing style is warm and personal. Great job, Carmen. I love it.
You had mentioned you were following my blog but you don't show up as following. I only mention it because a few friends have had trouble with that process completing and have had to redo their attempt.
Again, you have an awesome blog and I will be back again to visit often. Thanks!

Reply
avatar
February 20, 2012 at 9:08 PM delete

this looks and sounds amazing - thank you or sharing, and following =))

Reply
avatar