Fish Fingers (or fish sticks as they're called in the US) is perfect finger food for the kids or husbands! They are easy to prepare, tasty and somewhat healthy.
Growing up, fish fingers were one of my favorite foods, I couldn't get enough of them. My mum didn't cook them often, so every time she made them it was a special treat for me. Then later in life when I was living away from home at university, a fish fingers sandwich was probably my only "home cooked" meal during my student years.
Fast forward to present day! I have been craving them lately. Instead of running to the frozen aisle, I decided to make my own from scratch. It was surprisingly easy and they turned out crispy and light.
- 1 1/2 lbs fish fillets (cod, haddock,or red snapper )
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 2 egg whites, beaten
- 1 teaspoon of water
- Salt and pepper
- Clean the fish fillets in cold water. Remove all bones. Cut fish into 1/2in thick fillets.
- Prepare 3 separate dishes, one with flour with salt and pepper mixed in, one with beaten egg white and water, and the third with breadcrumbs.
- To batter fish slices: First dip the fish in flour, then in egg and water mixture, then breadcrumbs.
- Deep fry fish slices in medium hot oil (I use olive oil) for a few minutes until golden brown, be careful not to overcook.
Sign up here with your email