Homemade Fish Fingers Recipe: Crispy and light

Fish Fingers (or fish sticks as they're called in the US) is perfect finger food for the kids or husbands! They are easy to prepare, tasty and somewhat healthy. 

Growing up, fish fingers were one of my favorite foods, I couldn't get enough of them. My mum didn't cook them often, so every time she made them it was a special treat for me. Then later in life when I was living away from home at university, a fish fingers sandwich was probably my only "home cooked" meal during my student years.

Fast forward to present day! I have been craving them lately. Instead of running to the frozen aisle, I decided to make my own from scratch. It was surprisingly easy and they turned out crispy and light.

Ingredients

  • 1 1/2 lbs fish fillets (cod, haddock,or red snapper )
  • 3/4 cup flour
  • 1 cup breadcrumbs
  • 2 egg whites, beaten
  • 1 teaspoon of water
  • Salt and pepper
Preparation

  1. Clean the fish fillets in cold water. Remove all bones. Cut fish into 1/2in thick fillets.
  2. Prepare 3 separate dishes, one with flour with salt and pepper mixed in, one with beaten egg white and water, and the third with breadcrumbs.
  3. To batter fish slices: First dip the fish in flour, then in egg and water mixture, then breadcrumbs.
  4. Deep fry fish slices in medium hot oil (I use olive oil) for a few minutes until golden brown, be careful not to overcook.
Husband Says: "Light and delicious indeed. Much better than the stuff from the frozen aisle. Spoiled I am. These would be good with tartar sauce as well as ketchup. Or even without, they really are nom-a-liscious."

    Previous
    Next Post »

    7 comments

    Write comments
    Soni
    AUTHOR
    February 15, 2012 at 10:19 PM delete

    Lovely fish fingers Carmen!My kids love them,but I always end up getting the frozen ones.Maybe I should try making them like you do :)Thanks for adding me to your blog friend's list!!Hugs :)

    Reply
    avatar
    Nish
    AUTHOR
    February 16, 2012 at 4:57 AM delete

    Nothing like fish finger sarnies!

    I can't get my head around how few ingredients went into this recipe! And so easy as well - I've bookmarked it for future reference :)

    Reply
    avatar
    Elisabeth
    AUTHOR
    February 16, 2012 at 1:13 PM delete

    Carmen-no wonder, I love your blog, the best, of the best recipes are on your blog, that I'm eagerly wanting to make! I have not made fish fingers...only chicken fingers. I will for sure make these to get my little grandchildren to eat more fish!
    Super crunchy and yummy, indeed...great job, as always, and great recipe:D
    xoxo

    Reply
    avatar
    Elpiniki
    AUTHOR
    February 17, 2012 at 6:52 AM delete

    I love these! Look really good!

    Reply
    avatar
    Jenn Kendall
    AUTHOR
    February 17, 2012 at 2:03 PM delete

    these sound so simple and delicious! yum!

    Reply
    avatar
    February 17, 2012 at 3:08 PM delete

    Thank you very much for all your kind and encouraging comments! Please let me know how it turns out if you try it. Thanks for stopping by!

    Reply
    avatar
    WineDineDaily
    AUTHOR
    March 2, 2012 at 4:53 PM delete

    Love your recipe Carmen, it looks very crispy & delicious!
    Cheers :)
    J & C

    Reply
    avatar