Queens Food Swap: My first Food Swap Experience!

Food swaps started getting popular in New York City last year. It's kind of an old fashioned concept like a potluck, yet it feels new in the time of social media. It's nice to bring passionate foodies together in real life.
What is a Food Swap?  You bring your homemade goodies to trade with other people’s homemade goodies.

On Sunday,  I attended my first Food Swap event with my husband and my friend. This event was hosted by the Queens Swap. I was very excited about this event so I woke up early and spent the whole day cooking, baking and stressing out! Without knowing what to expect I was a little unprepared! Glancing at other people's beautifully packed goodies, I realized I brought too much food! I made 15 bags of Jam Shortbread Cookies and 20 bags of Spring Rolls, while other people bought about 6 of everything. Oops.

Then the bidding began, you write down what you are willing to trade for with a given item. The next step was to make the trades. At first I hung back a little as I was nervous. I mean, what if I was the girl who walked away with no swaps? But with my husband cheering on and a glass of wine, I started getting into it. In the end, people were wonderful and even this unprepared girl walked away with great stuff!

I can say that I got to bring home a great mix of treats. I got some granola bars, some chocolate cookies, a bottle of blueberry water kefir soda pop, rosewater marshmallows, cognac truffles, and mojito cupcakes!

Overall it was a wonderful experience with a warm atmosphere, nice people and great food! I think everybody that came had a great time. Thanks again to the three organizers of the event,  Meg, Judith and AJ for hosting (definitely check out their blogs!)

I can't wait to go to the next Swap!
  .
Previous
Next Post »

4 comments

Write comments
Beloved Green
AUTHOR
February 20, 2012 at 9:22 PM delete

This is fantastic, I would love to do something like this in Seattle.

Reply
avatar
Alida
AUTHOR
February 21, 2012 at 4:48 AM delete

What a great idea. I have never seen this before!

Reply
avatar
Soni
AUTHOR
February 21, 2012 at 9:53 AM delete

What a lovely idea!Great way to interact with other foodies and share amazing food!Glad you had a great time Carmen!

Reply
avatar
Elisabeth
AUTHOR
February 23, 2012 at 4:12 PM delete

What an awesome idea, Carmen. Wow, you certainly have been busy making all those goodies, and swapping for more!
Would love to join a swap like this:DDD

Reply
avatar