Strawberry Shortbread Heart Cookies: Sweet Valentine's Day Treat For Your Sweetie

I love Strawberry Shortbread cookies, the English call them Jammie Dodgers after the brand. Living in England taught me how to appreciate afternoon tea and biscuits (cookies) and these little Dodgers are definitely my favorite, followed by digestive biscuits, rich teas and Scottish shortbread. 

 

I have very fond memories of Jammie Dodgers. When I was a little girl, I used to love them so much, especially the ones from Bhs (British Home Store). I remember every time my mum took me to Bhs, I would go straight to the food section and grab a pack of Jammie Dodgers. And I wouldn't leave the store until I got my mum to buy it for me. 

 

So there was no surprise that these biscuits were the first thing that came to my mind, when I was searching for a Valentine's day gift idea for my Hubby. These biscuits are special for me, they are close to my heart! They always reminds me of my mother,  and my happy childhood. I hope they will become special to my husband too from now on!

Ingredients

  • 1 cup butter, softened
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon cornstarch
  • 1/3 cup strawberry jam

Preparations

  1. In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar. Gradually add flour and cornstarch until dough forms a ball. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.  
  2. Roll out the dough to roughly 1/2' thick. Shape batter into heart-shape using heart-shaped cookie cutter ( I used my hands)
  3. Press gently in the middle to make an indentation. Fill with strawberry jam.
  4. Transfer to a cookie sheet and bake at 350F for 12-15 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Remove from oven to cool. 
Husband Says: "OK, first off, what the heck are 'digestive biscuits'? Seriously. Are they supposed to help you poop? I learn so much every day from my lovely wife, and today I learned about Brit biscuits. So the Jammie Dodgers (again, new terms learned today! Score one for the Yank!) were very good I say. Here! Here! Jolly good they are. I hope she makes them for all my mates and some of the other blokes down at the office."

    Previous
    Next Post »

    13 comments

    Write comments
    Nish
    AUTHOR
    February 9, 2012 at 4:15 AM delete

    They look so cute! Perfect for Valentines for sure :)

    Reply
    avatar
    Jana ★
    AUTHOR
    February 9, 2012 at 5:46 AM delete

    Te ha quedado de maravilla, que pinta!!
    Un besito!
    http://janakitchen.blogspot.com

    Reply
    avatar
    Elpiniki
    AUTHOR
    February 9, 2012 at 10:39 AM delete

    These looks so lovely! I love the color!

    Reply
    avatar
    Willow
    AUTHOR
    February 9, 2012 at 10:46 PM delete

    What a great idea! I've never heard them called 'Jammie Dodgers' before, but I do love shortbread, and a little jam with it sounds like a great combo. Very cute cookies - thanks for sharing!

    Reply
    avatar
    Kate
    AUTHOR
    February 10, 2012 at 3:41 AM delete

    They are so sweet))))))))

    Reply
    avatar
    Soni
    AUTHOR
    February 10, 2012 at 8:36 AM delete

    Perfect Valentine's Day treat Carmen!So pretty and delicious!Its always great to bring back memories this way isn't it?

    Reply
    avatar
    Tina
    AUTHOR
    February 10, 2012 at 3:22 PM delete

    Shortbread and jam are a great combo. After seeing these I am now ready for afternoon tea! You did such a great job on the cut outs, very eye catching. Wish I was getting these for Valentines.
    Neat how delicious food can bring back the greatest memories. I imagine if I did travel to England-tea at a bakery would be something I would definitely not pass up.

    Reply
    avatar
    February 10, 2012 at 8:24 PM delete

    looks cute and yummy :)
    Ridwan

    Reply
    avatar
    Guru Uru
    AUTHOR
    February 12, 2012 at 1:23 AM delete

    These are so cute and yummy - perfect for V-Day :D
    Awesome blog!

    Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru
    Latest: 3 Layer Brownie Cheesecake
    http://gobakeyourself.wordpress.com/

    Reply
    avatar
    Elisabeth
    AUTHOR
    February 12, 2012 at 2:23 PM delete

    Carmen, you did an amazing job, shaping these yummy shortbread cookies into perfect heart shapes. I do have heart shape cut-outs and would like to make these delicious cookies. Love the recipe, and had to chuckle abt. your hubby's remark...so funny!

    Reply
    avatar
    celia
    AUTHOR
    February 13, 2012 at 6:10 PM delete

    Que chulo! Happy Valentine's Day!

    Reply
    avatar
    Miss Apple
    AUTHOR
    February 23, 2012 at 7:30 PM delete

    Hi Carmen!! Thanks for commenting on my blog! I've been thinking about making shortbread cookies and I'm thinking about trying yours. It's super easy! Do you think it would be good for decorating? I would need to roll them out. Have you rolled them out before? I'll try and I'll let you know how it goes! :)

    Reply
    avatar