Sweet Glutinous Rice Balls Of Love Recipe: Valentine's Day Aisan Style

Today is the Spring Lantern Festival in Asia, which takes place on the fifteenth day of the Lunar calender. This festival is also regarded as the Asian Valentine's day, a day celebrating love and affection between lovers. During the Lantern Festival, children would go out at night carrying paper lanterns and solve riddles on the lanterns. The most famous event is the Taipei Lantern Festival, the biggest and most diversified celebration of lantern crafts.
In addition to displaying and appreciating lanterns, it's the day to eat "tangyuan" which are little glutinous rice balls with a sweet center which symbolize family unity and love.
Hope you enjoy these sweet balls of love. Happy Asian Valentine day!

Serves: 2 -3 
Estimated Cost: $5
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Ingredients:
  • 1 cups glutinous rice flour
  • 2 tablespoons of sugar
  • 1/2 cup of boiling water  (or more if needed)
  • 1 cup of room temperature water
  • 1 can of Red Beans Paste
Preparation:
  1. Dissolve the sugar in 1 cup of warm water.
  2. Pour hot water into glutinous flour and using a wooden spoon, mix the dough. Slowly add sugar water mixture. Keep adding water untill you get a dough with right consistency.
  3. Roll dough into small balls. Flatten each ball in your palm, and place a pinch of red beans paste in the middle of each disc. Fold up the edges and press to seal. Once you have done this, lightly roll it into a ball.
  4. Bring some water to the boil in a large pot over high heat. When the water is boiling, drop the rice balls into the pot. Cook the rice balls for a few minutes. Once they float, they are cooked.

Syrup Preparation:
  1. Cook 1/2 cup of brown sugar, 1/4 cups of ginger slices and water to make a sweet syrup.
  2. Cool syrup before adding in the cooked rice balls. Serve at room temperature. 
Husband says: "I never thought I'd say this in all my life but...but I enjoyed my wife's sweet balls of love very much. Not salty at all. Very sweet. Those balls o' love."
Previous
Next Post »

5 comments

Write comments
Red_Shallot
AUTHOR
February 7, 2012 at 1:22 PM delete

Carmen, how I miss Tangyuan! I haven't had this in ages. Maybe not since my mom made them many many years ago. Thanks for the recipe, now I can make them myself.

Reply
avatar
Jana ★
AUTHOR
February 8, 2012 at 1:23 PM delete

Great blog, I love your recipes and post!
I´m your new follower.
I invite you to visit my blog, I hope you enjoy it.
I have a google traslator, so you can read without problems!
Kisses from Spain ^^
http://janakitchen.blogspot.com

Reply
avatar
Elisabeth
AUTHOR
February 12, 2012 at 2:27 PM delete

Wow, Carmen, I never knew about the Spring Lantern Asian Festival, and the history behind all this!
Your soup with the delicious sweet rice balls are incredible, and looks so exotic, and super inviting:DDD

Reply
avatar
Jenn Kendall
AUTHOR
February 14, 2012 at 3:02 PM delete

this soup sounds so yummy!

Reply
avatar
March 2, 2012 at 1:15 AM delete

From photo to ingredients, this is a very attractive post! And your recipe is going on my shelf, with the rest of the best ;-) Thanks for sharing, Carmen, and for stopping by =))

Reply
avatar