Japanese Rice Crackers (Senbei ): A Crunchy, Crispy And Easy Asian Snack


Japanese rice crackers, or Senbei, are usually  baked or grilled, traditionally over charcoal. They come in different sizes, shapes and flavors, mostly savory but sometimes sweet. they may also be flavored with salt, soy souce and seaweed.

Senbei are often eaten with green tea as a casual snack and offered to visiting house guests as refreshment. They are also a popular street food,  there is even a street in Asakusa devoted to making and selling Senbei.

I have been wanting to make Senbei for awhile, and when my wonderful mother-in-law sent us a food processor as a gift, I knew I had to put it to good use and make this lovely treat.

Cook time: 30 minutes
Serves: 2 dozens
Estimates Cost: $10
Ingredients
  • 3/4 cup sweet rice flour
  • 1/3 cup cooked sushi rice
  • 3/4 teaspoon sea salt
  • 2 tablespoons oil
  • 4 tablespoons water
  • 3 tablespoon furikake (Japanese rice seasoning, you can buy this in any Asian market)
Preparation
  1. Preheat oven to 400F. 
  2. In a food processor, combine the rice flour, white rice, salt, and oil. Pulse-blend until finely ground. 
  3. Add in water to the ground mix.
  4. Transfer to a bowl, mix in the furikake,
  5. Press  balls of the dough between cling-film into thin disks (The thinner the discs the crispier they will be). 
  6. Bake on greased baking sheets for 6 minutes then flip the crackers with a spatula and continue to cook until they are dry and beginning to brown,  5-6 more minutes. Remove from oven.
  7. Allow crackers to cool and crisp up before serving.
Husband Says: "I took these over too the HuffPo news room and distributed to various malnourished and snack fiending editors. They all loved em. I know they weren't kissing my ass either because none of them report to me. Seriously, you can just sit back and chomp on these things all day. This was Carmen's second batch, and she nailed it. The first time around they weren't so crispy, but she rallied and produced these treats. A great between meal snack for anybody."
Previous
Next Post »

8 comments

Write comments
Balvinder Ubi
AUTHOR
March 10, 2012 at 10:18 PM delete

What is the difference between Sushi and sweet rice? I though they were both sticky rice. I use rice flour in my cooking, so was just curious.
They look pretty easy and tasty snack.

Reply
avatar
Red_Shallot
AUTHOR
March 11, 2012 at 1:58 AM delete

Carmen, I'm so trying this recipe. This is my kind of snack. Savory, crispy and light! Gotta have!

Reply
avatar
Willow
AUTHOR
March 11, 2012 at 2:47 PM delete

These look lovely! I'm fairly certain I've eaten them before, but have never considered making them myself. I'm not sure where I would find 'sweet rice' flour, though... I've seen white/brown rice flour in the store, but not sweet. Asian market, perhaps?

Also, so jealous that your husband will give a run down of what he thought of the food. I've oftens truggled to get The Boyfriend to give more than a shrug, nod, or grunt. Later he will come up with a more definitive response as to whether or not he liked something, but it's really rare that he actually goes into any detail. You're lucky to have a man who can articulate about such things!

Reply
avatar
Alida
AUTHOR
March 11, 2012 at 6:51 PM delete

This is so interesting! Unusual recipe. Bookmark it! Have a good week X

Reply
avatar
maha
AUTHOR
March 11, 2012 at 8:33 PM delete

This looks absolutely yummy..I should try this soon...Bookmarking this one..nice psace vth yumm recipes........

Reply
avatar
Nupur
AUTHOR
March 14, 2012 at 5:46 PM delete

I have visited your Blog first time and I am really impressed with the clean pics and nice recipes..

following you now, do visit my blog as well when you like :)

Cheers
UK Rasoi

Reply
avatar
March 15, 2012 at 12:03 AM delete

Thank you Everyone for stopping by and really glad that you like this recipe!

Hi Balvinder, by sweet rice do you mean Jasmine rice? Short grain is preferable for this recipe. It is starchier and it sticks better! Hope this helps! Carmen :)

Reply
avatar
Jenn Kendall
AUTHOR
June 4, 2012 at 11:27 AM delete

Seth is obsessed with furikake, he just eats it right out of the container instead of actually putting it on things - i need to make this for him!

Reply
avatar