Lemon Olive Oil Pound Cake: Better Without Butter?

.
Although I'm not a big dessert person, I do love citrus cake and lemons are perhaps my favorite baking fruit of all time. If you love lemon cake, I don't think you can find a more lemony lemon cake than this one. This cake has a wonderful mouthwatering flavor that comes from adding both lemon zest (skin) and juice to the batter. Lemon zest also adds color and a little extra kick of citrus. 

By using olive oil instead of butter, the cake is light yet moist and without the crumbly heaviness you get with butter. Don't get me wrong, its not like butter is not good! I just prefer it this way. We'll see what my husband says...he's a bit of a cake purest (aka fanatic).


Grab a hot cup of tea, coffee or milk and enjoy a slice of this rich lemon cake.

Cook Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
Estimated Cost: Around $8 (for perishables, assumes you have the basics!)
Ingredients

For the pound cake 
  • 2 ½ cups all purpose flour
  • 1 ½ cups sugar 
  • 3 large eggs  
  • 3 teaspoons baking powder 
  • 1 cup lemon juice
  • 1 cup olive oil
  • 3 teaspoons water 
  • 1 1/2 tablespoon of Lemon Zest
For the Icing
  • Homemade or ready made icing (brand of choice)
  •  1 teaspoon of lemon zest
 Preparation
  1. Preheat oven to 350 F. Generously grease and flour a flute pan. 
  2. In a electric mixer, mix all the ingredients on low until blended. Then beat for 1 minutes on high speed. 
  3. Pour batter into pan. Bake  until cake tester comes out clean ( 50-60 minutes). 
  4. Spread icing over the cake once the cake has cooled. Sprinkle Lemon zest on the top.
Husband Says: "Carmen was scared for me to try this one. She knows I'm crazy about cake and desserts. Like, I have an amazing sweet tooth. Its huge. It likes cake. The cake to me, is not a lie. This cake, this wonderful cake, is most definitely not a lie. I did not know it was made with no butter until I read this recipe. Bamboozled! It was moist with just the right amount of lemon flavor and not too crumbly. The icing was out of a can, but really, does icing ALWAYS have to be homemade? Its mixing sugar with water or juice. I mean c'mon. Even I could mix water and sugar. Moral of the story: Lemon cake made with olive oil instead of butter is good, and passed the sweet tooth test." 


Follow Carmen's Kitchen on Facebook for more kitchen and cooking ideas! 
    Previous
    Next Post »

    16 comments

    Write comments
    Nish
    AUTHOR
    March 12, 2012 at 12:28 AM delete

    I love lemon cake and this sounds really good! Plus if it's healthier - all the better :)

    Reply
    avatar
    Tina
    AUTHOR
    March 12, 2012 at 8:10 AM delete

    Glad she made this! Oil in a cake does give it great texture and keeps it from being too dense. I was skeptical about the use of olive oil at first, but was delighted at the results. Carmen has now come over to the EVOO side of baking and it is a delicious place to be. That cake slice is calling my name-yum!

    Reply
    avatar
    Elpiniki
    AUTHOR
    March 12, 2012 at 9:59 AM delete

    I love lemony tasty cakes! I ll try this your way too!

    Reply
    avatar
    Soni
    AUTHOR
    March 12, 2012 at 10:21 AM delete

    I also love citrusy desserts and this one sure looks like a delicious delicious treat!Love the fact that you used olive oil instead of butter making it healthier and giving it a nicer texture as well :)Will definitely be making this Carmen :)

    Reply
    avatar
    Alida
    AUTHOR
    March 12, 2012 at 10:24 AM delete

    This is a much healthier version than the one with butter. I agree with you olive oil is better and makes a much lighter cake.
    Well done!

    Reply
    avatar
    Elisabeth
    AUTHOR
    March 12, 2012 at 11:26 AM delete

    Carmen-your Lemon Olive oil pound cake is far more healthier than the average pound cake loaded with butter. The lemon certainly brings out the flavor, and lightens it up...genius, and delicious:DDD

    Reply
    avatar
    Jenn Kendall
    AUTHOR
    March 12, 2012 at 2:09 PM delete

    oh this recipe sounds great! totally bookmarking this!

    Reply
    avatar
    March 13, 2012 at 5:08 PM delete

    Thanks so much for all your encouraging words, I really appreciate them. Thank you!

    Reply
    avatar
    SerenaB
    AUTHOR
    March 16, 2012 at 5:21 PM delete

    This looks amazing! I love the fact you use evoo and the crump looks so very moist and tender! Devine!

    Reply
    avatar
    Pranjali
    AUTHOR
    March 16, 2012 at 6:37 PM delete

    Healthier version of cake without butter.Thnks for sharing.
    Do visit my new blog
    http://www.foodydelight.com/

    Reply
    avatar
    March 17, 2012 at 3:31 AM delete

    First time here. luv ur delish collection of recipes.This luks a Perfect and healthier Bake without butter.Luv it and Glad to follow U back

    Reply
    avatar
    Balvinder Ubi
    AUTHOR
    March 17, 2012 at 5:51 PM delete

    I love citrus flavour and you have used olive oil in place of butter. Much healthier option.

    Reply
    avatar
    June 5, 2012 at 2:24 AM delete

    My son loves lemon & does not use dairy products! Birthday coming soon,will use recipe for cup cakes or a few mini cakes!

    Reply
    avatar
    Cate Ayotte
    AUTHOR
    July 14, 2012 at 11:26 AM delete

    I added fresh chives & made a glaze to pour over it with belle de brillet, it was wonderful. Soooo many compliments!

    Reply
    avatar
    Alida
    AUTHOR
    August 16, 2012 at 5:18 PM delete

    using oil will certainly be lighter than butter. I love this cake and it is well presented too!

    Reply
    avatar
    January 24, 2016 at 12:42 PM delete

    Wayyyyyy too much oil. Didn't turn out AT ALL!

    Reply
    avatar