By using olive oil instead of butter, the cake is light yet moist and without the crumbly heaviness you get with butter. Don't get me wrong, its not like butter is not good! I just prefer it this way. We'll see what my husband says...he's a bit of a cake purest (aka fanatic).
Grab a hot cup of tea, coffee or milk and enjoy a slice of this rich lemon cake.
Cook Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
Estimated Cost: Around $8 (for perishables, assumes you have the basics!)
For the pound cake
- 2 ½ cups all purpose flour
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup lemon juice
- 1 cup olive oil
- 3 teaspoons water
- 1 1/2 tablespoon of Lemon Zest
- Homemade or ready made icing (brand of choice)
- 1 teaspoon of lemon zest
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Generously grease and flour a flute pan.
- In a electric mixer, mix all the ingredients on low until blended. Then beat for 1 minutes on high speed.
- Pour batter into pan. Bake until cake tester comes out clean ( 50-60 minutes).
- Spread icing over the cake once the cake has cooled. Sprinkle Lemon zest on the top.
Follow Carmen's Kitchen on Facebook for more kitchen and cooking ideas!
Sign up here with your email