Shrimp Tempura Recipe: Simple, Easy, Fast And Authentic

Tempura is considered to be one of the most well-loved and most popular of all Japanese dishes. In Japan, tempura is traditionally deep fried vegetables or seafood. However, not only battered, fried shrimp qualifies as tempura! Tempura does not use bread crumbs, only the lightly battered food is tempura. 

You can make tempura with almost any ingredient, I love all of them, but my favorite is definitely Tempura Shrimp. Who doesn't love crunchy deep fried Shrimps?



It's actually pretty easy to make tempura at home. All ingredients can be found easily at your local supermarket. Have fun making them! Don't forget to dip them in soy sauce and accompany them with a glass of warm sake!

Serves: 2 -3 

Estimated Cost: $20

Cook Time: 30 minutes 

Ingredients:

  • 12 Large shrimp (if frozen need to thaw, the bigger the shrimp the better!)
  • Flour to dust
  • Oil for deep frying
  • For Tempura Batter
  • 1 cup of all purpose flour
  • 1 tablespoon of baking soda
  • ¼ teaspoon. salt
  • 2 egg white
  • 1 cup ice water

Preparation:

  1. Remove heads and shells from shrimp without removing the tails. Lightly press the back of shrimp to straighten. Dry shrimp on paper towels. 
  2. Beat an egg white in a bowl. Add in ice water. Add sifted flour, mix lightly.
  3. Heat the oil in the pan, and lightly coat the shrimp in flour. Then, pick the shrimp up by the tail and dip it into the tempura batter. Deep-fry the shrimp in hot oil until crisp. 
Husband Says: "Noms were had. Traditional dish. Nothing fancy, but it doesn't need to be. This is something even us dudes could learn how to do from our wives. Pretty sure I can handle it. I flip a mean pancake and can open a can of soup with the best of them."
    Previous
    Next Post »

    9 comments

    Write comments
    Elpiniki
    AUTHOR
    March 18, 2012 at 8:07 AM delete

    I just love shrimp! Look so yummy!

    Reply
    avatar
    Soni
    AUTHOR
    March 18, 2012 at 10:09 AM delete

    I love tempuras and this Shrimp Tempura looks very inviting!So simple, yet so much fun and crunchy, bursting with all that Shrimp deliciousness :)

    Reply
    avatar
    Abby
    AUTHOR
    March 18, 2012 at 10:51 AM delete

    This is a great go-to recipe! I love Tempura shrimp sushi, it never occurred to me to make my own ;)

    Reply
    avatar
    Chelsea
    AUTHOR
    March 18, 2012 at 7:35 PM delete

    This sounds SO good! Tempura fried shrimp is one of my favorite things. I'll have to give this a try at home!

    Reply
    avatar
    Nish
    AUTHOR
    March 19, 2012 at 1:29 AM delete

    Love tempura! Awesome recipe :)

    Reply
    avatar
    Jenn Kendall
    AUTHOR
    March 19, 2012 at 2:53 PM delete

    i just love tempura, great recipe!

    Reply
    avatar
    Alida
    AUTHOR
    March 19, 2012 at 3:31 PM delete

    Oh my god I absolutely love this dish. Thank you for the recipe!

    Reply
    avatar
    Elisabeth
    AUTHOR
    March 20, 2012 at 10:28 AM delete

    After 7 comments...would you think that at least one person actually read the recipe? Well, I did, as I always do when I check out a post and see what's in the ingredients. Carmen, the tempura shimp looks crunchy and delicious, just wondering what is the second ingredient?
    1 cup all purpose?...is it flour?, but than you have that as your first ingredient!

    Reply
    avatar
    March 20, 2012 at 11:18 AM delete

    Oh thank you Elisabeth, I didn't notice that I have repeated myself, oops. The second ingredient is actually baking soda. I am going to fix the recipe now. Thank you so much for pointing that out!

    Reply
    avatar