Baked Mac and Cheese with Bacon Recipe: Rich Creamy and Classic!

I am a big fan of those blue box stovetop mac and cheese meals. When I was growing up my mother would buy them in cases just for me. She never made it herself because I was the only one in our family who loved cheese. I remember the first time I tried homemade BAKED Mac and Cheese at a friend's house. I decided that was the best thing ever it was.

I still love those ready made stovetop Mac and Cheese, but now when I made it at home, I bake it!

In this recipe, I use a mixture of Monterrey Jack cheese, mozzarella and the sharp cheddar cheese to make the sauce. The Monterrey Jack really gives it a  kick. I also added some smoked bacon to make it more colorful.

Mac and cheese is also an excellent way to use up left overs, you can added bacon, pork chops, mushroom, ham, chicken, anything you can think of. 

Estimated Cost: $15

Cook Time: 50 minutes

Ingredients:

  • 1 cup macaroni, cooked
  • 1/4 cup flour
  • 1 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
  • 4 slices of smoked bacon, diced
  • 1 small onion, grated
  • 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese 
  • 1/2 cup of Monterey Jack cheese
  • 1/2 cup of mozzarella
  • 3 cups milk
  • 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
  • 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
  • Butter

Preparation

  1. In saucepan over low heat melt 4 tablespoons of butter; blend in flour and seasonings, stirring until smooth and bubbly. Gradually stir in milk; cook and stir until thick and smooth. Stir in grated onion and cheeses. 
  2. Place cooked drained macaroni in a buttered 3-quart casserole dish. Pour sauce over macaroni and gently mix to blend. 
  3. Melt remaining 2 tablespoons of butter and toss with the bread crumbs. Sprinkle bread crumbs and Parmesan over the macaroni. 
  4. Bake at 375° for 30 minutes, or until golden brown. 
  5. Serve and enjoy!
Husband Says: "When I read this recipe, I want to have it. Maybe tomorrow I'll get lucky (dirty minds people!) and get some Carmen baked mac and cheese. Please. Please. Please give me that Carmen mac and cheese. That sounds like a jingle. Maybe I should go into advertising. Yes! I'll start by marketing my wife's mac and cheese recipe and share it the world over. It will be the first step in our plan to conquer the world. Woo them with mac and cheese, then install the Anderson Dictatorship. We will be kind rulers, I promise."


Carmen Says : "I would like to take a minute to thank my fellow food blogger friend Elisabeth from Food and thrift for sharing the Beautiful Flowers award and the Circle of friends award with me.  You have totally made my day! Elisabeth's blog is amazing, and it is a real inspiration to me. Please take some time and check out her wonderful blog."

Previous
Next Post »

10 comments

Write comments
anne
AUTHOR
April 10, 2012 at 2:43 AM delete

Love mac and cheese ! Your version looks very appetizing with its different cheese and the addition of bacon makes it scrumptious :D

Congrats on the award !

Reply
avatar
Tina
AUTHOR
April 10, 2012 at 7:15 AM delete

Congrats on the awards Carmen! Ha-this mac and cheese has the hubs singing. It does look like it is well worth singing about-a great blend of cheese and we all know bacon does make everything better-yum! Have a great day!

Reply
avatar
Loveforfood
AUTHOR
April 10, 2012 at 10:05 AM delete

This looks like it would be perfect for breakfast, lunch or dinner

Reply
avatar
Soni
AUTHOR
April 10, 2012 at 10:47 AM delete

Oh did you say Bacon?I love this to bits!!So comforting and so flavorful Carmen! Congratulations on the awards and I have shoutout for you in my new post ;)

Reply
avatar
Lavanya T R
AUTHOR
April 11, 2012 at 1:42 AM delete

Great site here. Glad I got to visit it. Please do visit my site when you get time.
http://lavanyasrecipes.blogspot.com/

Reply
avatar
April 11, 2012 at 10:28 AM delete

An ultimate comfort food! I would love some for the dinner!

Reply
avatar
Elisabeth
AUTHOR
April 12, 2012 at 7:56 PM delete

Ahhh, Carmen...that is too sweet! Thank you for the mention about the awards...you so well deserved it:DDD
I am totally drooling here...seriously. Your Mac and Cheese is way over the top delicious with the bacon and the 4 awesome cheeses going on here. I'm all about "comfort food" and my dear, this is the ULTIMATE of "comfort food heaven!"
I'm going to copy and pin this for PINTEREST!
Hugs,

Reply
avatar
April 14, 2012 at 9:25 AM delete

Pop by my site I have something for you : ) I would love some of your mac and cheese now! Yumm!

Reply
avatar
Jenn Kendall
AUTHOR
April 16, 2012 at 3:23 PM delete

um that mac and cheese looks absolutely AMAZING! totally craving mac and cheese now!!

Reply
avatar
Zoka
AUTHOR
April 18, 2012 at 2:53 AM delete

OMG Carmen, your mac and cheese looks so delicious. Thank you so much for visiting my blog!

Reply
avatar