I wouldn't cook a fillet in the style of this recipe, it just wouldn't be the same. Keeping the fish on the bone helps to keep it extra moist and tender (like how meat kept on the bone is juicier). A healthy, simple, quick and tasty way to cook any whole fresh white fish. The smoking peanut oil finale is absolutely necessary to bring out the full flavors of the fish!
Steaming is a healthy and delicious way to cook fresh fish. You can taste the delicate, sweet natural flavor of the fish and its very easy to prepare.
- 1 -1 1/2 lb fresh fish, with the head and tail on (scales removed and insides cleaned)
- 2 tablespoon ginger sliced
- 4 tablespoons of peanut oil
- 1/4 cup scallions, julienned.
- 4 tablespoons soy sauce mixed 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- Wash and pat dry the fish with paper towel inside and out
- Place 1/3 of the gingers in a plate then place fish on top, place the 1/3 in the fish cavity and finally the 1/3 on the top.
- Add enough water to the wok then bring to the boil in high heat. When the water is boiling Place the plate on a steam rack in the wok then steam covered for 8-10 minutes
- After the fish is cooked, pile on the julienned scallion on the fish .
- Heat up the oil, until it is so hot it's steaming, Pour the hot oil onto the fish. (The hotter the better to release the scallions' flavor into the sauce.)
- Pour the soy sauce sugar mixture on top. Serve hot with hot steamed jasmine rice.