Monday, April 16, 2012


I am a big fan of the TV show Desperate Housewives, so it really was "a dream come true"  for me moment when I got the chance to meet my favorite star from the TV show, Miss Eva Longoria. She is beautiful and down-to-earth, and has a great sense of humor, just like her character Gabby Solis. I have been following the Desperate Housewives since it started eight years ago. During this time, I have lived in 3 different continents, gotten married, and learned how to cook. So for me it almost feels like the end of an era when the show comes to an end next month. 

To mark the end of Desperate Housewives, I have decided to check out  Miss Longoria 's cookbook, Eva's Kitchen: Cooking with Love for Family and Friends. I have to say this is not just another celebrity cookbook, it offers a surprisingly well-rounded and tempting selection of recipes taken straight from her own life. It is a beautiful book filled with a great selection of Mexican dishes. It had some great recipes with great stories about where they came from and how they originated.

This was my very first time cooking Mexican food, so I was worried I might mess something up. Luckily Eva's instructions are clear and easy to follow, and I was totally blown away by how tasty and aromatic the finishing dishes were. All I can say is Que deliciousas!

 

Eva's Mexican Rice  (Recipe via ABCnews)


Carmen says:  This classic Tex-Mex stew is rich and delicious and totally exceeded my expectations. Our house was filled with the delicious cumin aroma. I had never cooked rice without boiling it first. I am totally impressed with this traditional Mexican way of rice cooking,

Eva Longoria's Guacamole Recipe  (Recipe via Marthasteward.com)


Carmen says: This recipe is irresistible, it's very easy to make and it's fresh and light (as light as avocado can be anyway!), so much better than the ones from the stores. The combination of chilli, coriander and lime juice is delicious. Prefect party snacks!

Husband Says: "This is Chris (holds up egg.) This is Chris on good Mexican food (cracks egg into frying pan.) Good Mexican food is like a drug. I'm totally addicted. When I first moved to Asia the thing I missed most food wise was Mexican. Fast forward a few years and discover my delight at Carmen's desire to want to try cooking Mexican food. Even though these recipes aren't originally Carmen's, they are really quite good. Nicely done Miss Eva Longoria! And nicely done Mrs Anderson! Maybe I can bribe her to cook up some enchiladas next."

15 comments:

  1. Lucky Carmen ! hahahaha She's really gorgeous ! Would love to try that Mexican rice ! ;D

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cool you got to meet her! Great recipes...I'll have to go find that book :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome!! I love desperate housewives and sad it will end soon....but I will try this recipe on a Sunday night!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cool that you got to me Eva and this is a lovely tribute to the end of an era of desperate housewives. Eva does have some great recipes, but I have yet to try this one. I do love all things southwestern and this looks like a great meal.I am glad you posted this, it looks delicious!
    Ha-the hubs is not wanting to take the spotlight away from you by complimenting Eva, after all he wants you to make enchiladas!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's fantastic!! Desperate Housewives is one of my favourite shows as well : ) You're dish looks fantastic as well bet it tastes fantastic. So lucky you got to meet her got a photo with her.

    ReplyDelete
  6. that is so cool you got to meet her! and those recipes look great, i'm dying to try that rice!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So nice that you got to meet Eva Longoria! Lucky you, Carmen. I imagined she would be as sweet in person; and so beautiful!
    Sad to see the show come to an end. I've been following it since day #1
    I also love the Mexican rice recipe...would love to try it:DDD

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can imagine how excited you were to meet Eva Longoria - she's beautiful and quite the foodie. A few months about I remember seeing her on the Martha Stewart show doing some cooking (or baking) and she certainly seems to know her way around the kitchen ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. How cool! She is pretty and can cook!
    Rice and guacamole look very tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  11. How lucky to have met her!! I like her too and always watch the series! I love this recipe very much.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow,you got to meet her in person!!!Love the color of the rice dish!Looks very inviting and delicious and so is the Guacamole!Need to check out her book :)Thanks for sharing Carmen and have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great post Carmen! Thanks for visiting my blog, I am your new follower now! have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  14. i love the show as well. so lucky you got to meet Eva. I'm so sad the show is ending. Wow, if her cookbook is that good, I may need to invest.

    ReplyDelete