This recipe of Tacos de pescado (Taco of fish) originated in Baja California in Mexico, that's where it got its name from. I used this Baja fish taco recipe from Allrecipe.com as a guideline, and created my own, I also served my with a homemade cabbage and cilantro slaw salad instead of with tomatoes and cabbage, and the result came out fabulous! I hope you'd like this as much as I do!
For the fired fish pieces
- 1 1/2 pounds boned, skinned firm, white-fleshed fish such as cod or tilapia
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Olive oil
- 6 -8 corn tortillas
- 6 cups finely shredded purple cabbage
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons Olive oil
- 1 tablespoon of Jalapenos
- salt to taste
For Tartar Sauce
- 2 chipotles chilli, seeds removed, finely chopped
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 scallion, finely chopped
- 11/2 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- In a bowl, flour, and salt until well blended.
- In a medium size pan, heat up 1 inch of oil over medium-high heat; bring oil to 360°.
- Dip fish pieces into beer batter one by one. Slide fish into oil, a few pieces at a time, and cook for 3 - 4 minutes or until golden. When done, transfer to a paper towel-lined plate.
- Heat a medium skillet over medium heat. Add a tortilla and warm for 10 to 20 seconds on each side.
- To assemble each taco, spread a spoonful of tartar sauce on a warmed tortilla. and top with 3 or 4 pieces of fish, then a spoonful of cabbage and cilantro slaw salad. Serve with tartar sauce and Lime wedges on side.
Sign up here with your email