Baja Fried Fish Tacos Recipe: Get your Taco Party Started!

Since I moved to the States last year, I have fallen head over heels in love with Mexican food. Glowing up in Asia and Europe, Mexican food is something I've read about, but not really eaten The "real deal" Mexican food  is just so fresh and rich, varied and delightfully colorful! Cinco de Mayo is just  the best excuse for me to go crazy on Mexican food and margaritas! So please pardon me for doing yet another Mexican recipe!

This recipe of Tacos de pescado (Taco of fish) originated in Baja California in Mexico, that's where it got its name from. I used  this Baja fish taco recipe from Allrecipe.com as a guideline, and created my own, I also served my with a homemade cabbage and cilantro slaw salad instead of with tomatoes and cabbage, and the result came out fabulous! I hope you'd like this as much as I do! 

Ingredients

For the fired fish pieces
  • 1 1/2 pounds boned, skinned firm, white-fleshed fish such as cod or tilapia
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon salt 
  • Olive oil
  • 6 -8 corn tortillas
For the Cabbage and Cilantro Slaw salad
  • 6 cups finely shredded purple cabbage
  • 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro 
  • 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
  • 2 tablespoons Olive oil 
  • 1 tablespoon of Jalapenos
  • salt to taste
Mix all the ingredients in a large bowl, and add salt to taste

For Tartar Sauce
  • 2 chipotles chilli, seeds removed, finely chopped
  • 3/4 cup mayonnaise
  • 1 scallion, finely chopped
  • 11/2 tablespoon fresh lime juice
  • Salt
Blend all ingredients in a blender until smooth.

Preparation

  1. In a bowl, flour, and salt until well blended.
  2. In a medium size pan, heat up 1 inch of oil over medium-high heat; bring oil to 360°. 
  3. Dip fish pieces into beer batter one by one. Slide fish into oil, a few pieces at a time, and cook for 3 - 4 minutes or until golden. When done, transfer to a paper towel-lined plate.
  4. Heat a medium skillet over medium heat. Add a tortilla and warm for 10 to 20 seconds on each side.
  5. To assemble each taco, spread a spoonful of tartar sauce on a warmed tortilla. and top with 3 or 4 pieces of fish, then a spoonful of cabbage and cilantro slaw salad. Serve with tartar sauce and Lime wedges on side. 
Husband Says: "More Mexican food please. I LOOOVE fish tacos. Love em. Like, we're going to name our second born 'F.T.' for Fish Taco Anderson. They won't get teased in school at all. Who would pick on a kid named Fish Taco? Anyhoo, these were great, as was the tartar sauce. Really creamy with a little kick to it. Don't need to put much of it on a taco for it to really enhance it! There needs to be more 'Mexican' holidays."
Previous
Next Post »

10 comments

Write comments
SerenaB
AUTHOR
May 5, 2012 at 9:36 PM delete

We made shrimp taco's the other night! These look tasty! Have a great weekend!

Reply
avatar
Lavanya
AUTHOR
May 6, 2012 at 2:55 AM delete

My fav..I love this
http://lavanyasrecipes.blogspot.com/

Reply
avatar
Soni
AUTHOR
May 6, 2012 at 11:21 AM delete

I love tacos too!!These look delicious and I love your purple cabbage slaw to go with it.Nice crunch, color and taste.Mexican foods are so much fun to eat aren't they?Spicy and flavorful :)Thanks for sharing Carmen and hope you're having a great Sunday!

Reply
avatar
Jenn Kendall
AUTHOR
May 7, 2012 at 3:17 PM delete

These look delicious Carmen! great post!

Reply
avatar
Tina Bk
AUTHOR
May 8, 2012 at 3:27 PM delete

Fish tacos are a favorite in this house! I would say that the tartar sauce is the main showstopper in this recipe, those spicy and tart ingredients must make these tacos really taste amazing. Also, I like the presentation you did with the basket-very creative, great photo!

Reply
avatar
Elisabeth
AUTHOR
May 8, 2012 at 4:03 PM delete

Carmen-I love tacos too, and we have a large Mexican population here, in S. Florida, so as you can see we certainly have the best restaurants and "mom and pop" eatery places which we love even more!
Love your fried fish version, really crunchy and delicious, and mostly love the sauce with the chipotle, and the crunchy, healthy cabbage slaw. Yumm!
xo

Reply
avatar
Nisa Homey
AUTHOR
May 9, 2012 at 12:52 AM delete

Hi Carmen, thank you for stopping by and for the kind thought. Never tried Mexican food because of lack of access to it....but this looks great and I am giving it a try. Thanks for sharing. Blessings, Nisa.

Reply
avatar
Balvinder Ubi
AUTHOR
May 14, 2012 at 11:28 PM delete

These look wonderful. I like your idea of coleslaw with it.
Just to let you know that I linked you on my blog.

Reply
avatar
Mario
AUTHOR
May 16, 2012 at 3:11 AM delete

Hi Carmen, I just stopped by to say hi and catch up on your blog. These tacos look "sabrosos". Me gusta mucho los Tacos. But that is not surprising since I live in california where Tacos are almost the official State food. Ha, Ha! Great post, my friend!

Reply
avatar