Spicy Chicken Enchiladas Recipe: Celebrate Cinco de Mayo At Home

What better way to celebrate Cinco de Mayo fiesta than cooking some homemade Guacamole, Mexican Rice and serve with some cold cervezas? I came across this tasty enchilada recipe on Allrecipes.com awhile and I figured there isn't a better time to try it out. I have added some tomato sauce and made a few adjustments to it. The result was fantastic! 



This Saturday marks the150th anniversary of Cinco de Mayo. The official name of this holiday in Mexico is called  El Dia de La Batalla de Puebla (The Day of the Battle of Puebla), it marks Mexico's victorious win against the French in the Mexican State of Puebla on May 5, 1862. Do you know that Cinco de Mayo isn't a major holiday in Mexico? It's actually a Mexican-American holiday. It has turned into a major holiday that everyone in the US, Mexican or not, have enjoyed celebrating. It's also a day people use as a license to overeat Mexican food.

Cook Time: 45mins

Estimated Cost: $10

Serves: 2-3

Ingredients

  • 1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed cream of chicken soup
  • 1/2 cup sour cream
  • 1 tablespoon butter
  •  8 oz. tomato sauce
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 1 teaspoon chili powder
  • 2 cups chopped cooked chicken breast
  • 2 green chile peppers, chopped
  • 8 (8 inch) flour tortillas
  • Hot Sauce
  • 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese

Preparation

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
  2. In a small bowl mix the soup, tomato sauce and sour cream.
  3. Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and chili powder, and saute until tender. Stir in the chicken, chile peppers, green pepper, 1/2 cup of cheese, soup mixture. Cook and stir until heated through. 
  4. Spoon about 1/4 cup of the chicken mixture down the center of each tortilla. Roll up tortillas, and place in a baking dish. Cover with taco sauce on top, and sprinkle with cheese.
  5. Bake 20-25 minutes in the preheated oven, or until bubbly and lightly browned. 
Husband Says: " Dame. More Mexican food! I like this trend! Carmen was nervous about this one as once again she knows I love my Mexican food. Happy to say this was delish as usual. Spicy, but not TOO spicy. Saucy, but not TOO saucy. Will eat again!"

Previous
Next Post »

8 comments

Write comments
May 3, 2012 at 12:45 PM delete

This makes me so hungry for Mexican food - I haven't had so much as a tortilla in months and now you've sparked a craving...

Reply
avatar
Alida
AUTHOR
May 3, 2012 at 3:03 PM delete

This very yummy. I don't have mexican very often and I also have to learn how to do it. Thank you for this recipe!

Reply
avatar
Tina Bk
AUTHOR
May 3, 2012 at 3:11 PM delete

These enchiladas do look tasty. I am so ready for some ice cold margaritas as well as some spice. Strange that I have never made my own enchilada sauce, I will need to try yours-glad you posted this! Ha-I do not think your husband needs Cinco de Mayo for an excuse to eat this. Have a great day.

Reply
avatar
Soni
AUTHOR
May 3, 2012 at 5:55 PM delete

Oh I love enchiladas!So comforting and super delicious!Yours look so so tasty with the chili peppers and hot sauce, totally my kind of food :)Thanks for sharing Carmen :)

Reply
avatar
anne
AUTHOR
May 4, 2012 at 3:31 AM delete

I will celebrate Cinco de Mayo everyday just to eat that deliciousness ! lol Okay , okay I haven't eaten enchiladas before but your recipe looks very easy , one of these days , I'm gonna make it ! Thanks for sharing this , Carmen !

Reply
avatar
mireia badia
AUTHOR
May 4, 2012 at 7:19 AM delete

Love your blog!!! Will visit often :)

Reply
avatar
sandra
AUTHOR
May 4, 2012 at 5:55 PM delete

Good afternoon ;) This looks like a puurfect Cinco de Mayo recipe! BTW: I have nominated your blog for a Kreativ Blogger and Sunshine Award ~ You can view this at http://sandrarecipeblogsite.blogspot.com ~ Have a fantastic weekend...

Reply
avatar
Elizabeth
AUTHOR
May 30, 2012 at 9:00 PM delete

I need to make chicken enchiladas soon!

Reply
avatar