Hear! Hear! Jubilicious Coronation Chicken Salad Recipe


This weekend is the Queen's Diamond Jubilee: A celebration of Queen Elizabeth of England 's 60th year on the throne. I was born in British Colonial Hong Kong and had spent many happy years in Britain,  the image of Queen Elizabeth II is as familiar to me as a family member.

I always have tremendous admiration and respect for The Queen. She is a beautiful example of courage and strength, and throughout her life she adapted to the times with dignity. Even now that she is not my Queen anymore, I still have a special place in my heart for this strong and reassuring figure.

This famous Coronation Chicken recipe was invented to celebrate a young Queen Elizabeth upon her elevation to the British throne 60 years ago. The original recipe called for mango, but as my husband is allergic to mango (Husband says, "Drat!). I based my recipe on the one that I found in Allrecipe.com. I have replaced  the mango with apricot chutney and Lemon juice. I also added some heavy cream into the mayonnaise to make the sauce more creamy.

I hope you will enjoy this recipe. Have a Jubilicious weekend!

Ingredients:

  • 1 tbsp Olive oil 
  • 1 b cooked chicken, diced chopped
  • 1 small onion, finely
  • 1 tbsp mild curry powder
  • 1 tsp tomato paste
  • 1 tbsp red wine
  • 125ml chicken stock
  • 1 tsp sugar
  • Juice of 1/2 lemon
  • 2 cups mayonnaise
  • 2 tbsp heavy cream, lightly whipped
  • Salt and pepper to taste 
  • 1/2 cups Apricot chutney  

Preparation:

  1. In a small frying pan, heat the oil to hot but burning. Add onion and cook on a low heat for 3 minutes. Stir in curry powder and cook for a further 2 minutes. Stir in the tomato paste.
  2. Remove from the heat and stir in the red wine, chicken stock. Season with salt and black pepper return to the heat and bring to boil. Stir in the sugar followed by the lemon juice and simmer on a gentle boil for 5 - 10 minutes. and leave to cool.
  3. Add the curry sauce mixture to the mayonnaise, stir in the apricot chutney and cream. 
  4. Place the cooked chicken into a large bowl, pour sauce to coat the chicken.
  5. Serve  with salad, in sandwiches, or as a filling for a baked potato. 
Husband Says: "You know, I wasn't sure about this one. I mean, chicken to celebrate The Queen? And cold curry like sauce and chicken over lettuce...hrm, my American sensibilities were tingling and firing warning shots across my red, white and blue synapses. But, my wife being the wonderful cook that she is, I gave it a go and by jove! It was good! I say, hear hear! Good show ol'wife! I have officially celebrated The Queen with a dedicated dish, and enjoyed it. It was a good day."
    Previous
    Next Post »

    6 comments

    Write comments
    anne
    AUTHOR
    June 2, 2012 at 2:11 AM delete

    That salad looks scrumptious ! I just love the creaminess so as the gorgeous color of the sauce :) I'm sure it tastes as good as it looks !

    Reply
    avatar
    Elisabeth
    AUTHOR
    June 2, 2012 at 11:00 AM delete

    What a joyous jubilation for the Queen...60yrs is a very long time!
    Carmen, I just love how you re-invented the delicious sauce for the chicken salad. It certainly is creamy, tasty, and delicious!
    The apricot chutney certainly compliments the curry!
    Beautiful presentation, as well, my dear friend:DDD

    Reply
    avatar
    Alida
    AUTHOR
    June 4, 2012 at 4:32 PM delete

    Delicious salad indeed. Fit for a queen X

    Reply
    avatar
    Tina Bk
    AUTHOR
    June 5, 2012 at 7:22 AM delete

    Not sure how I missed this one, but glad I am here now. This is a very unusual recipe. The blend with the curry, chutney and red wine must give this some amazing flavor. This one is a keeper. Perfectly special for the Queens milestone!

    Reply
    avatar
    June 12, 2012 at 6:39 AM delete This comment has been removed by the author.
    avatar
    Soni
    AUTHOR
    June 14, 2012 at 11:59 AM delete

    I love coronation chicken and satisfy my craving when i'm in the UK!!Have to try your recipe Carmen, since I've never made it at home :)Looks delish!

    Reply
    avatar