Spinach, Bacon And Feta Filo Pie Recipe: Taking On My Favorite Jamie Oliver's Recipe


You know sometimes you see something on TV which looks delicious but you know that if you recreated it at home it would look nothing like the tastiness you see? Well when I saw the spinach and feta filo pie recipe on Jamie Oliver’s show, 30 Minute's Meals, I thought exactly that. Challenge accepted!


I tried it at home last week and I’ve fallen in love with this pie! It’s quick and really easy to prepare and looks and tastes excellent. Simply delicious!!! I’d highly recommend it as a summer's afternoon lunch or evening dinner when you're looking to get a veggie fix.

Jamie's recipe is absolutely fantastic, but since my husband and I are both meat lovers, I added some bacon pieces into the recipe. Mmmm bacon. I have also increased the amount of cheddar cheese, and added one more egg to make the filling a bit richer. Still, I feel like a bit of a cheat posting this because it is 95% not of my invention. It’s a Jamie Oliver recipe. So to the man, I must give more kudos and love, you can find Jaime Oliver's original spinach and feta filo pie recipe here.


Ingredients
  • 100g pine nuts
  • 6 free range or organic eggs
  • 300g  feta cheese
  • 70g  Cheddar cheese
  • 1 tablespoon dried oregano
  • 6 pieces bacon, diced
  • 1 lemon
  • 400g prewashed baby spinach
  • 1 x 270g pack of filo pastry
  • 1/2 nutmeg 
  • a tablespoon of Olive Oil

Preparation (See unmodified original version HERE)
  1.  Put the pinenuts into a dry ovenproof frying pan to toast for 2-3 minutes, tossing occasionally.  
  2. Crack 6 eggs into a mixing bowl and crumble in 300g of feta. Grate in 70g of Cheddar. Add a pinch of pepper, a couple of pinches of dried oregano, zest of 1 lemon and a tablespoon of olive oil. Once the nuts are lightly golden, add them to the egg mixture and mix well. 
  3. Put the empty frying pan back on the heat, add a little olive oil and pile in the spinach. Gently push and move it around and add more as it wilts down. Make sure it doesn’t catch on the bottom and when there’s room, start adding the rest, stirring frequently.
  4. Meanwhile, take the pastry out of the fridge. Lay a large sheet of greaseproof paper, on the worktop, rub a little olive oil all over it, then scrunch it up and lay it out flat again. Arrange 4 filo pastry sheets in a large rectangle, overlapping at the edges, so they almost cover the paper. Rub some olive oil over them. Sprinkle over a pinch of salt & pepper. Repeat until you have 3 layers. Don’t worry about any cracked bits. 
  5. Once the spinach is cooked, take the pan off the heat. Add the wilted spinach to the egg mixture and grate in ½ a nutmeg. Mix well. Carefully move the greaseproof paper and filo into the empty frying pan (or baking tray) so the edges spill over. Push it down into the sides of the pan, then pour in the egg mixture and spread it out. Fold the filo sheets over the top. (optional : Put the pan back on a medium heat for a couple of minutes to get the bottom cooking)  put the try  into the oven on the top shelf to cook for 18 to 20 minutes.
Husband Says: "I'm Popeye the sailor man! I'm Popeye the sailor man! If I can't get me spinnaache! I won't even finnash! Because I'm Popeye the sailor maaaan! Ehgehgehgehgeh! Hot balls I felt stronger after eating this. Alright, maybe not stronger per say, but definitely more...awesome. Or is it more Australian? I hope its more awesome. Carmen nailed Jaime (his dish! His dish!) with this one, and her modifications really put it over the top for me. I don't want plain, I want BACON and CHEESE and anybody that enjoys a bit of those things will love her tweaks. Give it a go. Its good."
  
Previous
Next Post »

4 comments

Write comments
anne
AUTHOR
June 26, 2012 at 11:52 PM delete

Good ! The link's working ! Been checking this post since yesterday :D .... Your addition works very well ! It's much more substantial and by the look of it scrumptiously gorgeous ! Come to think of it , way better looking than that link's photo ! shhhh lol

Reply
avatar
Jenn Kendall
AUTHOR
June 28, 2012 at 2:47 PM delete

YUM! i love the addition of bacon in it :)

Reply
avatar
Alida
AUTHOR
June 29, 2012 at 12:27 PM delete

This is a very good pie, full of flavour. Filo pastry goes so well with spinach and feta. The beacon gives it more of a kick to this dish too.

Reply
avatar
Elisabeth
AUTHOR
July 2, 2012 at 9:10 AM delete

Hi Carmen, haven't been visiting and commenting on your blog since I'm out of my usual element (meaning house/dog watching) for my daughter for one month. Glad to know they will be back this coming Sunday. Also using their computer.

I love how you took the Jamie challenge and made the filo pie your own, with the crispy bacon additional, which adds more flavor and is certainly delicious and comforting. Saving your yummy recipe to make, and thanks for all those links...really interesting!
Have a beautiful Monday!xo

Reply
avatar