I'm a big fan of pesto! Pesto sauce is a simple traditional Italian sauce great for topping pasta dishes, it also goes incredibly well with chickens and cheese! The best thing about it is that it is super easy to make. I really cannot tell you how delicious and satisfying it is to make your own pesto. it tastes 1000 times better than the store-
- 1/4 cup homemade arugula pesto (recipe see below)
- 2 cups boiled salad pasta or macaroni
- 4 oz mushrooms, cleaned and chopped into bite sized pieces
- 2 – 4 tbsp olive oil or margarine/butter
- 1/2 tsp salt (or to taste)
- black pepper to taste
- Cook pasta according to the package direction, drain and cool pasta.
- Heat a saucepan over medium heat and add 2 tbsp olive oil.
- When it shimmers, add the mushroom. Stir occasionally, let the mushrooms cook down. They will release their water and start to turn brown.
- Now add the arugula or greens on top of the mushrooms along with the salt and pepper. Stir to combine.
- Add the cooked pasta to the pan, along with 1/4 cup of pesto. Mix gently to combine. Add more pesto to taste.
- 1 bag (5 oz) baby arugula
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Juice of 1 lemon
- salt to taste
- In a food processor add all of the ingredients except the olive oil. It will look full. Keep stuffing the arugula down if neccessary.
- Start to pulse the mixture until the arugula leaves start to get nice and chopped, then turn it on low.
- Drizzle in the oil until you have a smooth sauce or until it reaches the desired consistency.
- Taste the pesto and adjust the seasonings if you need to.
- Store in an airtight jar in the refrigerator until ready to use. Serve on anything you’d like!
Husband Says: "Classic, Italian dish. Not too filling, pretty healthy and best eaten outside with a few glasses of wine if you can swing it. Fellas, I should also mention this is a good meal to prepare for a date you want to impress, or for your wife to show her that you can cook more than SPAM and pancakes. This is an easy one to put together."
Follow Carmen's Kitchen on Facebook for more kitchen and cooking ideas!
Sign up here with your email