Low Carb Shirataki Noodles Italian Style Spinach Pasta Recipe: New Twist On An Old Dish


Love pasta but not the carbs? Then Shirataki noodles might be your new best friend! I recently discovered this low-carb pasta equivalent! Don't let the tofu in the name scare you away from this delicious product. Shirataki noodles are traditional Japanese noodles made of tofu and yam flour. They look like noodles, feel like noodles, and have pretty much no flavor. But! There are only 20 calories in a half cup serving! While they obviously work great in Asian recipes, I love to use them to make Italian style pasta. There are few things more comforting than an over-sized bowl of Italian love.



Shirataki noodles are available in most Asian supermarket in the refrigerated section. They can be prepared in stir fries, pastas, soups, salads or any of your favorite ways to eat pasta. Best part is they are very low in calories and really high in fiber!

Shirataki Noodle Nutritional Facts
Serving Size: 4 oz
Calories: 20
Fat: 0.5
Carbs: 3g
Protein: 1g
Fiber: 2g

This is where I part ways with traditional pasta. Ciao pasta! Konnichiwa Shirataki Noodles!

Ingredients

  1. 1 packet of shirataki noodles (spaghetti shaped)
  2. 1 large onion,finely chopped
  3. 2 cups (6 oz) raw spinach, chopped
  4. 4 Italian chicken sausages, diced 
  5. 1 teaspoon olive oil
  6. 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
  7. Parmesan cheese
  8. Salt and pepper
  9. 1/3 cup half and half

 Preparation

  1. Thoroughly rinse rice shirataki noodles until odorless, meaning until it has no tofu smell. (Follow instruction on package)
  2. In a medium sized skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. Once hot, add garlic and 3/4 onion, sautee until fragrant for about 3 minutes. Put in spinach and stir fry for another 3 minutes until it softens. 
  3. Mince the garlic, onion and spinach in a food processor. Add salt, pepper and 1/2 cup of half and half. Blend until the mixture is creamy and smooth.
  4. Cook sausage pieces and the rest of the onions over medium heat until sausage is no longer pink. Stir in noodles and spinach sauce. Add salt and pepper to taste. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and serve hot.
Husband Says: "I hate tofu. Alright, that might be a bit of an exaggeration, but I definitely don't CHOOSE to eat it when I have the choice. But when it comes to Carmen Dishes, I pretty much eat whatever is put in front of me. In this case, she did warn me that the pasta was made of tofu. It was good. I enjoyed it. This is a very clever dish and pretty unique. I ate an entire plate and it wasn't too filling. Felt great. I could use more dishes like this as I don't want the ol' tummy getting too round. That would be bad. So, for all of the skeptic fellows out there, this is pretty damn good. Can't complain."
Previous
Next Post »

8 comments

Write comments
anne
AUTHOR
July 10, 2012 at 9:11 PM delete

They look like noodles , and tastes like noodles ?! Love it ! lol I love tofu in any form and this noodles sounds delicious ! That plateful of pasta with its generous sauce looks simply delicious !

Reply
avatar
Alida
AUTHOR
July 11, 2012 at 11:43 AM delete

Great looking dish and surely very yummy. I like this Italian style version.

Reply
avatar
Soni
AUTHOR
July 11, 2012 at 6:14 PM delete

Wow, that's new to me and I'm going to look for it in the ethnic stores here :)Love the Italian twist on these noodles Carmen!!

Reply
avatar
mireia badia
AUTHOR
July 12, 2012 at 4:24 PM delete

I should try those!! I don't mind the carbs but if I can eat something healthier and still enjoy something why not??? Thanks for sharing!

Reply
avatar
July 13, 2012 at 1:37 AM delete

Great recipe..i have some packets of shirataki Noodles & i'll try this at dinner tonight !!

Reply
avatar
Elisabeth
AUTHOR
July 13, 2012 at 1:58 PM delete

Carmen, I agree with your hubby...totally! A very clever, and unique dish...not to mention the awesome creamy sauce with spinach and chicken sausage...I'm convinced; so healthy, and delicious. Presentation is so inviting, as well; which is so important:D

Reply
avatar
Zoka
AUTHOR
July 15, 2012 at 8:34 AM delete

I love it, but here we don't have shirataki noodles. :(((

Reply
avatar
Jenn Kendall
AUTHOR
July 16, 2012 at 4:52 PM delete

interesting! i'll have to look for those noodles!

Reply
avatar