Thursday, August 2, 2012

Since I went on a low carb diet, I've been doing a lot of research on low carb recipes. So when I heard about using pork rind crumbs as a no-carb breading for fried chicken, pork and fish, I couldn't wait to try it!

Like many people I have always thought pork rinds are really fattening! But the truth is, they have zero carbs, are low on the glycemic index (diabetes), are gluten-free and best of all, have more protein than a handful of peanuts. Amazing, right? And you can be creative with them.


Here is a nutritional comparison I made for a bag of pork rinds and a bag of potato chips,  the comparison is per a serving size of 28g. 
                
                     Pork Rinds (Utz Brand)              Potato chips
Calories            160                                                160
Fat                    10g                                                10g
Carbs                0g                                                  15g
Fiber                  0g                                                  1g
Protein              16g                                                 2g
 

Even though pork rinds are not bad, it is definitely not a health food! Remember everything (well almost everything, my husband could live off French Toast if given the choice) is OK to eat in moderation! But if you are on a low carb diet, and if you need some occasional crunch, porks rinds will do the job.


Cook Time: 15 minutes
Serves: 2
Estimated Cost: $8

Ingredients
  • 2 cod filets
  • 1 egg white
  • 2 bags pork rinds, very finely crushed (about 1 cup) (Use a food processor)
  • Oil for frying
  • Salt
Preparation 

  1. Use a small food processor that holds about a cup and a half. Season them while they were still in the food processor. Carmen's touch: I also crush more than I need and keep them in a sealed container in the fridge.
  2. Put the egg white in a pie plate and beat with a fork until foamy. Put the pork rind crumbs in another plate 
  3. Heat a good amount of oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. The oil should cover the bottom of the pan. Coat the fish well with the egg white and then dip the filets into the crumbs to coat them well. Carmen's touch: put the crumbs on as thickly as you can because a lot of them will fall off while cooking. 
  4. Gentle handling will keep the crumbs from falling off too much. Very carefully place the fish in hot oil in the skillet and fry on both sides until the coating has browned slightly and the fish is cooked through. It will only take a minute or two per side. Season to taste with salt. Eat at once while the fish is hot and the coating is nice and crisp.

Husband Says: "Well this is a new one. I admit I was skeptical, call it the editor in me. Or call it the 'what the hell are you doing frying fish with pork rinds?' in me. Either way, I was skeptical. Interestingly, it was pretty good. Now, I wouldn't go on eating this over the standard Carmen fried chicken dish, but for what it sets out to achieve it accomplishes. Low carbs baby. It has a hind of pork rind, but it isn't like cramming a bunch of them into your mouth. I definitely think a light dusting of the stuff is preferable to a heavy coating. Don't want it to get too...rindy.

Now if I was a kid, this would be an exciting dish. 'Mom you're making WHAT?! Cool! Its like peanut butter and banana sammiches! Weird! I'll tell my friends at school!' Maybe next time it will be pork rind fried veggies? You never know man! Shit gets crazy up in here."

9 comments:

  1. That's funny. I am also on a low- carb(and gluten-free)diet and I was just wondering if pork rinds would make a good breading. Now I will definitely have to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like fried fish but don't know what are pork rinds? It does look delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow pork rinds?! I would love to try that thank you for the tip.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pork rinds as a snack are just scrumptious but as a breading ?! That defies description ! lol By the look of that fried pieces , I'm sure it tastes as fabulous as it looks ! Another recipe to try sometime !

    ReplyDelete
  5. interesting combination. I have never seen this before and I'd love to taste it. Thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. this sounds so interesting Carmen! definitely want to try!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Carmen, I'm so happy you commented...I've been in the 'dark' since several days, totally wiping out my entire Blog list of favorites, which you were also on there. I am starting all over to get my list back with some changes, and different bloggers, but I wanted to make sure you were on there!

    I just love the crunchiness of the ground pork rind as a breading for the delicious fish! Never would I have thought of this genius idea to use as a breading. Totally much tastier than ordinary crumbs, for sure!
    Thanks for sharing...I bet it would be awesome on chicken legs, as well!
    xo

    ReplyDelete