Red Azuki Bean Popsicles: A Natural And Icy Summer Treat

We've been experiencing some serious heat waves this summer. The thermometer has been hovering in the high 80s to mid 90s. It can be like a big, sweaty oven at times. And that's when I started craving for some Azuki Bean Popsicles, my favorite ice cold treats.

I loved anything with red bean when I was growing up and I still do. You can also find azuki /red bean squashed into a paste and used as stuffing in many Asian foods like sweet rice balls and moon cakes, buns and smoothies. It is also an excellent source of fiber, protein and rich in vitamins and a great, healthy way to satisfy kids on a hot summer day. Red bean popsicles are popular in Asia and you can get them at any corner shop, but I've yet to see them anywhere in New York. That's too bad as the pops are seriously tasty and without the artificial coloring and flavoring in most store bought popsicles.

So I made my own with the help of my husbands taste buds. It took me two tries to get it right, but when I did it was great!

Cooking time : 5 hours
Serves: 10
Estimated Cost: $5

Ingredients
  • 1 cup of Adzuki Beans
  • 6 cups water
  • 2 cups of brown sugar 
  • 2-4 pandan leaves (Optional) ( use 2 fresh leaves or 4 frozen ones )
Preparations
  1. Rinse and strain the beans, put them in a pot together with water and pandan leaves. 
  2. Bring it to boil, and let it simmer on low heat for 1 1/2  hour, until the beans are soft.
  3. When the beans are cooked, add brown sugar and boil it till all sugar is dissolved.Stir gently.
  4. Remove from heat, take out the pandan leaves and let the cooked beans mixture cool to room temperature
  5. Set aside 1/3 of the whole cooked beans mixture. Blend the rest of the beans mixture in a blender for  1-2 minutes until smooth.
  6. Mix both mixtures together before pouring it into popsicle mould, then into freezer.
  7. Serve frozen.
Husband Says: "Beans? Frozen? In a popsicle? Yup. Believe it. Used to eat these in Hong Kong on hot days, and missed them here. Luckily the Amazing Carmen did as well and decided to give these a whirl. Like she said, the first batch didn't quite turn out as it wasn't sweet enough, so we loaded it up with more sugar (sorry moms) and the second batch turned out jusssst right. Hurray for sugar! Really, really tasty. Going to go have one now in fact."


Follow Carmen's Kitchen on Facebook for more kitchen and cooking ideas! 
Previous
Next Post »

7 comments

Write comments
Carolina
AUTHOR
August 20, 2012 at 9:18 PM delete

Fantastic idea!! I've always loved red bean ice cream, so this sounds like something that I would really enjoy. Can't wait to try it myself!- Carolina
http://lacucinaprimadona.blogspot.com/

Reply
avatar
anne
AUTHOR
August 21, 2012 at 8:57 AM delete

In this side of the world it's soooo hot as well tsk tsk What could be better than these refreshingly yummy pops ?! And homemade pops taste way better and healthier ! :D Try using some soya milk instead of all water next time .... I've been meaning to make this pops but haven't had that plastic container yet :P :D

Reply
avatar
August 23, 2012 at 11:31 AM delete

Fun!

http://therealfoodrunner.blogspot.com/

Reply
avatar
mireia badia
AUTHOR
August 27, 2012 at 12:54 PM delete

I tried making some of these and they turned out pretty bad... i'll have to try your recipe!!!

Reply
avatar
Jana ★
AUTHOR
September 3, 2012 at 1:08 PM delete

Que buenas recetas, me encanta!
Soy nueva por tu blog, ya soy nuevo miembro :D
Te invito a que pases a mi cocina, se bienvenida
Un besito ^^
http://janakitchen.blogspot.com

Reply
avatar
January 19, 2013 at 10:38 AM delete

I'm confused about the Pandan Leaves you mention in the preparation, since they are not listed in ingredients. Should I try and track them down? Can I leave them out/replace them? What flavor do they add? It's a southeast asian ingredient right?

Reply
avatar
January 20, 2013 at 8:35 PM delete

Hi Austin, many thanks for mentioning the mistake I made. I didn't realised I have missed it out! I will add the Pandan leaves back on to the ingredient list right now. It is really an optional ingredient, you can totally leave it out if you can't get hold of any. But I am pretty sure you can get them in any Asian market. Pandan Leaf is widely used in Southeast Asian cuisines, especially when it comes to desserts and sweet. It has a very unique sweet fragrance. Hope this helps!

Reply
avatar