Soy Flour Muffin Recipe: Low Carb Answer To Breakfast On The Run


As all low carb eaters would know, besides a cooked breakfast and oat bran cereals, it can be challenging to figure out what to make with no or low carbs. It wasn't a big problem for me until I recently started teaching in a music school. I need to be up early and I really don't have time to cook in the morning.

Since then I've been looking for some filling breakfast/snacks to eat on the run. Cereal doesn't seem to fill me up, it is embarrassing when the hunger noise that your tummy makes is louder than the piano.

I had heard so much about low carb baking, I knew it was time for me to give it a try. Here is what I have come up with!

Soy flour may smell like melted plastic when it is raw, but the end result is really not too shabby! I added some lemon juice to help to cover the taste of soy flour, and the blueberries really hide it as well. Of course this isn't an issue if you like soy, but for those adverse to it, you can in fact hide quite a bit of it.

Ingredients

  • flax seed meal  
  • 1 tbs soy flour
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 tbsp of lemon juice 
  • 1 cup soy flour 
  • 1/2 cup sugar substitute
  • 1/4 cup evaporated milk
  • 1/4 cup light cream (table cream)
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • Carbonated water (club soda)
  • 1/2 cup fresh blueberries (frozen blueberries would make the muffins soggy)


Preparation

  1. Preheat oven to 370 F.
  2. Mix 1 tbs flax seed meal and 1 tbs of soy flour together.
  3. To prepare the muffin tray, spray it with cooking spray. Sprinkle it with the flax seed meal and soy flour mixture.
  4. In a large bowl, mix all the remaining ingredients (except the blueberries), using a hand mixer for 3 minutes. Then fold in the blueberries and fill the 6 muffins cups.
  5. Bake for 20 minutes or until the tops turn golden. Insert a toothpick to check if the muffins are ready. If the toothpick comes out clean, then they are ready.
  6. Remove from oven. Let them cool down before you take them out of the cups.
Husband Says: Can barely taste the soy. Its soylicious! Soyrific! Soytastic! Soyanara soy flavor! Soy...ah never mind. These are REALLY good muffins. I'm not a huge soy fan personally. I'll drink soy milk occasionally, but then I get tired of it quickly. But if you cook these bad boys right, its really hard to tell the difference if they are soy infused or not. They're really, truly good. Carmen is actually baking a new batch of these as I write this, because she ate all of the last batch, much to my sadness.


Follow Carmen's Kitchen on Facebook for more kitchen and cooking ideas! 
Previous
Next Post »

6 comments

Write comments
anne
AUTHOR
September 14, 2012 at 9:02 AM delete

Hunger noise louder then the piano ?! lol These delicious muffins will surely fill you up !

Reply
avatar
Nupur
AUTHOR
September 14, 2012 at 10:04 AM delete

That really is a good idea of making muffins healthier. I would first try with half APF and haklf Soy Flour and see how it truns out to be..

Reply
avatar
sandra
AUTHOR
September 14, 2012 at 1:39 PM delete

This recipe looks fabulous and oh so healthy ~ great going!!

Reply
avatar
Soni
AUTHOR
September 21, 2012 at 2:02 PM delete

You know what, I have to try this recipe!Looks super delicious and is super healthy!Love the idea of soy flour and flax in this :)

Reply
avatar
Alida
AUTHOR
September 21, 2012 at 4:42 PM delete

this is a wonderful recipe! And very healthy too.
Thank you for your comment on my blog! I am pleased you like my new site.

Reply
avatar
September 30, 2012 at 8:47 AM delete

Great recipe! I've had my adventure with soy flour and I know it's not easy! They look delicious :-)

Reply
avatar