Friday, January 4, 2013


Hello Everyone! Happy New Year, I hope you all had a great holiday. Carmen's Kitchen is finally back on track after a long two month break! The reason you haven't heard from me for so long was that my husband and I have been busy traveling visiting family and friends. But I have not forgotten you -- my friends -- during my traveling. I have collected some wonderful recipes, and will be sharing them with you over the coming weeks.

So lets get things rolling!

Candy Cane Cookies




My family LOVES Christmas! Candy cane cookie baking is a holiday tradition in the Anderson household. Myself and my father-in-law, the Candy Cane cookie master, embarked on a journey to Candy Cane City! (that's exactly how he put it!) and roll up dozens of yummy pink and white  cane cookies!

There really is nothing like rolling cookies with your family in front of a Christmas tree and listening to your favorite Bing Crosby holiday albums.
 
Thought you might like to do the same next year. So I have gathered two standard recipes to share. Sorry, these aren't EXACTLY the same as what I made, those have to stay a secret I'm afraid. 

But even though these recipes are very basic and versatile, they are easy and fun to make and you can put in your own stamp on it by altering the colors or taste. (e.g Instead of using walnuts, you can use pecans. Or instead of using vanilla flavoring, you can use peppermint!) 


Go on, surprise your family and friends with some delicious candies! Did i mentioned that they make wonderful gifts for your friends too!  


Candy Cane Cookies Recipes 

Ingredients
  • 1 cup butter, softened  
  • 1 cup powder sugar
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 teaspoon almond extract
  • 1 egg
  • 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • Pinch of salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon red food color

  • Preparation
    1. Using a mixer, mix all ingredients together.Divide dough in half. Add red color into 1 half.
    2. Heat oven to 375ºF.
    3. For each candy cane, take a small dough of each half roll it into 6-inch rope. Place 1 red and white rope side by side; press together lightly and twist. Place on ungreased cookie sheet; curve over the top to form candy cane.
    4. Bake for 9 minutes or until set and very light brown.





    Bourbon ball Recipe

    My mother-in-law, aunty-in law and I also got together for a bourbon ball making extravaganza. Aunty Debbie got us coffee and we put on Andrea Bocelli's CD, and off we went, we made 3 batches of bourbon balls for the family, the first batch was smooth and sweet, the second batch was crunchier and stronger, and then we took a little cocktail break, and what goes better with bourbon balls than a classic bourbon based HighBall ? And after our little break, we made our 3rd batch, and it was the best batch of them all, it was crunchy, sweet, and very very strong!!!!! Maybe we got a little heavy handed with the bourbon after our drinks? Anyway, I love it!




    Ingredients:
    • 1 cup  vanilla wafer crumbs
    • 1 cup crushed walnuts
    • 1 cup confectioners sugar
    • 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
    • Between 1/3 to 2/3 cup bourbon ( depending how strong you want them to be)
    • 1 tablespoons plus 1 1/2 teaspoons light corn syrup
    • confectioners sugar
    Preparation:
    1. In a dry bowl, mix together all dry ingredients (vanilla wafer crumbs, walnuts, confectioners sugar, and the cocoa)  
    2. In a separate bowl, mix the wet ingredients together (bourbon and corn syrup )
    3. Stir this bourbon mixture into the dry mixture; blend well.
    4. Prepare 1/2 to 1 cup of confectioners' sugar on a plate
    5. Shape small bits of the dough into balls and roll them in the confectioners sugar. 
    6. Store in refrigerator in tightly covered containers. 

    Stopping for a High-ball cocktail hour!

    Husband Says: "Its true. My family is obsessed. My father with candy cane cookies, and my mother and aunt with bourbon balls. Can't say I mind. I grew up with candy cane cookies. Once, my dad and I got into the bag in the freezer and ate something like half of what my mom made, then tried to cover up the crime by arranging them in a way to look like the bag was still full. Mom didn't buy it. She ended up slapping my dad around with the remaining cookies until they were but crumbs.

    We ate the crumbs.

    Like I said, kind of a family tradition/obsession. Bringing Carmen into it was a rite of passage for sure. We'll make candy cane cookies for our kids some day and I'll steal them and eat them and get slapped around by the wife. Can't wait."

    2 comments:

    1. Hey Carmen ! Just passing by to lurk ( if you're still breathing ! lol ) er to say Happy New year ! Here's to more delicious posts ahead - Cheers !!!

      Btw , those candy cane cookies and bourbon balls are yummy !

      ReplyDelete
    2. It is wonderful to have these family traditions-It is definitely a beautiful thing.

      Happy New Year!

      Velva

      ReplyDelete