Thursday, January 17, 2013

 

I have been working on a low-carb pizza crust for awhile, and after many failed attempts, I could not be more excited about this recipe! Great success! 

The secret in making a successful soy flour pizza is to make the crust thin and brown the crust longer than usual. What I love most about this soy flour pizza crust is that you can be creative and know that this crust will still hold the toppings you want without falling apart or crumbling. 

The toppings we happen to love is for a Hawaiian pizza. Pineapples, ham and maybe even bacon. Good stuff!

A little warning for those who are not used to soy products, this recipe is NOT going to rival your neighborhood pizzeria; what it will do is satisfy your pizza craving while not messing with a low carb diet. Plus, its filling and goes a long way!

Ingredients

Crust:

  • 1 1/2 cups soy flour
  • 3 large eggs
  • 3/4 cup heavy cream 
  • 1/3 cup club soda
  • 1 teaspoon salt

Toppings:

  • 1 can of homemade/ ready made spaghetti source
  • 3/4 cup of shredded mozzarella cheese 
  • 1 cup of sliced ham pieces
  • 1 can (8 oz) of pineapple
  • 1 Tablespoon Italian herbs
  • 1/2 cup of shredded cheddar cheese

Preparation

  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
  2. Make the crust: Generously spray 2 (12-inch) pizza pans with nonstick cooking spray.
  3. In a medium bowl, stir together all of the crust ingredients to make a smooth, thick, pancake-like batter. Using a spatula spread the batter as thin and evenly as possible over the two pans. (Carmen's tip: Or spread by coating fingers in olive oil, it also helps with flavor.) 
  4. Place pizza crusts on center racks of the oven and bake for about 15-20 minutes, or until lightly golden brown and firm to touch.
  5. Remove crusts from oven and increase the oven temperature to 400F.
  6. Spread the spaghetti sauce and then mozzarella cheese evenly over both crusts. Top the pizza with pineapple pieces and ham.and sprinkle with Italian herbs
  7. Place the pizzas back in the oven to bake for another 12- 15 minutes, or until the cheese melts. (Carmen's tip: The Crust can be a little soft while it's hot, it tasted better once it cooled down)
Husband Says: "So... soy crust. Hrm. Hrm I say. Skeptical. Skeptical! Oh sure, why not I'll give it a go. BUT JUST THIS ONCE! I gave it a go and... well, I'm not on a soy diet so why would I eat this? I'm Carmen's husband that's why, and I eat anything she puts in front of my maw. Now, she had tried this a few times already and they didn't really work out (sorry babe, I know you know this so I can say it and not face wrath!) but this time it was actually pretty tasty. I'm not sure I would choose a soy crust over normal crust if I had a choice, but I'll admit it was good, just different. For those on a carb diet, this is great. Those not on a low carb diet who like soy products should definitely love it."

5 comments:

  1. I have yet to see soy flour here :P ... Love the ingredients of your crust ! Sounds really delicious as the topping :D Your Hawaiian pizza looks really good !

    ReplyDelete
  2. I make pizza dough using soy flour but I add some other flours as well. Will try your version without eggs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The most important and tough thing is that to make the perfect dough when i try to make pizza i waste to much flour during this process but slowly slowly i made this perfectI thought about this . Now i try to put different things on it to change the taste.

    ReplyDelete
  4. DELISH! Love your blog. Hope you post more soon!

    Follow back if you can :)

    http://chowdownbythebay.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Carmen, I love your unusual pizza crust; which is quite different, not using yeast. The topping is awesome, and the Hawaiian flavors are certainly in there!

    ReplyDelete