Coconut Macaroon Recipe: Tropical Taste For A Too-Long Winter Treat

This is one of the coldest and longest winters in a long time, and still there is no sign of spring in New York City. And like many New Yorkers, I'm really feeling the winter blues. So my husband and I booked a holiday in sunny Florida for some much needed warmth and sunshine.

But in the mean time, I decided some tropically coconut goodness was in order. Lately, I've been totally obsessed with coconut. Dried coconut flakes for a snack here and there, drinking coconut water non-stop, using coconut oil to cook. I even brought a bottle of coconut oil to make my hair smell like coconut all day! It was just a matter of time before I get my hand into making these fancy little treats!

I have never really known anybody that makes macaroons and I don’t know why. I think it could have to do with the fact that macaroons sound really fancy and people probably think that you have to go to an expensive bakery to get them, but in reality its one of the EASIEST things in the world to make. They make yummy party finger-food, as well as elegant after meal dessert. They are also great for gift giving, as they will stay fresh for up to 5 days!


So get your coconut obsession on and start making some macaroons!

Ingredients

4 Egg Whites
1 cup White sugar ( I used 1 cup of Splenda granular baking sweetner)
3 cups Shredded Coconut
1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
½ cup Flour
¼ teaspoon Salt

Preparation

  1. In a double boiler (if you don't have one, you can easily make one. see How to make a double boiler) combine the egg whites, sugar, and salt. Stir until mixture is warm to the touch. (Don't overcook the egg whites!)
  2. Remove from heat and add the vanilla, flour and coconut. Stir until combined.
  3. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour or until firm.
  4. On grease proof, lined papered cookie sheets form dough into round balls.
  5. Bake at 325 F for 15-17 minutes, until the macaroons are just turning golden on the top.
  6. Remove to a wire rack and cool.

Husband Says: "Hey! These weren't made with real sugar! What's going on here? Not with real sugar! I refuse to....(eats one) Oh, I see. Right then. OK, that was good. Think I'll have one more.

Five Carmen macaroons later...


I had to resist eating more. I'm a sweets freak and Carmen knows this. She also knows I like to eat too much sugar. So she goes and gets all sneaky like and makes treats with sweetner and I end up liking them. Go figure. She's talented like that.


These are really good. Slightly crunchy on the outside, and soft in the middle. Perfect. 
Previous
Next Post »

4 comments

Write comments
March 26, 2013 at 9:06 PM delete

Hi Carmen, so glad to see your latest post. Love your amazing coconut macaroons; I'm so excited about making it with Splenda, since I'm careful about sugar, and carbs in general. Your macaroons turned out so fluffy and larger sizes than usual, which will not make me feel guilty for eating more than one. Thanks for sharing!
Hugs,

Reply
avatar
Azlin Bloor
AUTHOR
March 27, 2013 at 1:02 PM delete

One of my favourite indulgences but then, I am partial to coconut! Love the pic, Carmen!

Reply
avatar
Alaina
AUTHOR
May 9, 2013 at 1:46 AM delete

My sister Deborah and I made your Coconut Macaroons for Easter this year and everyone loved them so much we've made three more batches since. Incredibly moist on the inside with just enough crunch on the outside. We used real sugar but do plan on making the next batch using Truvia instead of Splenda. There have been too many articles about how bad Splenda is for you. I never even liked macaroons before. Thank you Carmen for starting a new family Easter tradition. Love, Ma

Reply
avatar