Baked Bacon Wrapped Asparagus Bundles: A Delicious Way To Celebrate Spring!


Spring has finally arrived in New York city, and one sure sign of spring is fresh asparagus in the produce aisle. So when I saw these beautiful fresh green Asparagus in the market the other day, I knew I had to get them so I can try out a Daily Mail recipe I saved a while ago. My husband and I love eating el fresco, we like having our dinner outside on our tiny NYC balcony whenever we have the chance (soon we will be sitting in our backyard in our new palce, can't wait!) I love this recipe because it is easy and tasty and I can prepare in advance so there’s no stress as we sit down to eat. And it goes beautifully with a glass of wine!

Ingredients

  • 6 slices Bacon
  • 1/2 Mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced
  • 1 Egg 
  • 1 cup Flour
  • 1 cup Breadcrumbs
  • lb.  thin fresh asparagus spears, trimmed

Preparation


  1. Preheat oven to 400ºF. 
  2. Wash, trim, and cut asparagus spears. Then, 
  3. Boil Asparagus for about 3 minutes in boiling water.
  4. Put bacon in single layer on microwaveable plate. Microwave on HIGH 1 to 1-1/2 min or until bacon starts to cook but is not crisp.
  5. Divide asparagus into small bunches. Wrap 1 bacon slice, 1 mozzarela slice in spiral-fashion around each asparagus bundle.
  6. Dip bacon wrapped asparagus with flour, then in stirred egg, then cover it with bread crumbs. Place on rack of foil-lined broiler pan.  
  7. Bake 20 to 22 min. or until crust is golden. 
  8. Serve with a dipping sauce of your choice if you like.  
Husband Says: "Wow. This was a treat. Seriously. A treat with a capital T. Oh screw it, ALL CAPS TREAT. Who ever would have thought that Daily Mail could have a recipe that wasn't stolen from somewhere else. That's what they do with most of their news anyway. But this, I'm alright with this. If anything, Carmen made it better. I know she did. She improved upon the original. So good. I ate all three put in front of me. I don't always eat all of my dinner (naughty) but I sure did this time. Highly recommend. Bacony goodness."
Previous
Next Post »

3 comments

Write comments
Neja Ribnikar
AUTHOR
May 14, 2013 at 5:50 PM delete

I love asparagus!!
I am following you now, can you follow me too? http://itislovelyfood.blogspot.com/

Xs, Neja

Reply
avatar
May 14, 2013 at 6:06 PM delete

Wow, Carmen! This asparagus is insanely yummy...wrapped in bacon, and mozzarella cheese, and dipped in egg and coated with breadcrumbs...I mean incredible! Could not stop eating one...would eat the entire batch. I agree with your hubby. Love his cute remarks at the end of each of your posts!

BTW-Good luck with your move...although I imagine how sweet it is sitting out on your cute little balcony in NYC...would love to see a photo of that! xo

Reply
avatar