Coffee Flan Recipe: A Taste Of Morning Joe In Your Desert



I love Spanish flan. I love its texture, I love how it's not too sweet and how it melts on your tongue like silk. It is a must have for me every time I visit a Spanish restaurant.



I have been craving some coffee flan for a week now, ever since we went to our favorite Spanish tapas restaurant in Astoria, New York City with our friends last week. When dessert time came, the waiter came and recommended us their special Coffee flan (Flan de Mocca).  


I didn't feel very adventurous that night, to me the name Flan de Mocca sounds like a fancy and overly sweetened version of the real thing. So I stuck to my decision and  ordered the classic Spanish flan (el clásico flan de huevo)


Our friend went with the waiter's recommendation. And when dessert came, we all shared our dessert a little. That's when I regretted not listening to the carmarero. The infusion of coffee puts a slight spin on this traditional Spanish dessert. I was in love at first taste, and I have been obsessed with this recipe since. 


When I found this Coffee flan recipe, I didn't waste any time before going out and getting all the ingredients! I have to say this is one of the hardest recipes I have tried so far, but it was worth it as the result was wonderfull.


Now I can enjoy this any time I like!

Ingredients

  • 1 cup granulated sugar

  • 1 can (14 oz.)  Sweetened Condensed Milk

  • 1 can (12 fl. oz.)  Evaporated Milk

  • 5 large eggs

  • 2 tablespoons Instant Coffee Granules

Preparation 

  1. Preheat oven to 325° F.

  2. Heat sugar in small, heavy-duty saucepan over medium heat, stir constantly for 5 to 7 minutes or until dissolved and caramel-colored. Quickly pour onto bottom of 9-inch deep pie dish; swirl around bottom and side to coat. Set aside and let it cool until hardened

  3. Mix condensed milk, eggs, evaporated milk and coffee granules with a blender. Blend until smooth

  4. Pour the mixture over the caramel into the prepared dish. Cover with foil. 

  5. Place dish in large roasting pan; fill roasting pan with water to about 1-inch depth.

  6. Bake for 55 minutes or until knife inserted near center comes out clean. Remove flan from water. Cool on wire rack. (Tip: Don't run a thin knife around edge of dish to loosen flan until after it's chilled. I made that mistake and the melted caramel flood onto the top, and i had to removed the flan from the dish before it was chilled in its wobbly stage, to avoid the flan being stuck to the dish when the caramel is set again.)

  7. Refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight.

  8. To serve, run small spatula around edge of pan. Invert serving plate over dish. Turn over; shake gently to release.

  9. Serve topped with whipped cream and fruit.

Husband Says: "Dang, this was niiiice. I'm not usually a huge flan kind of guy, but this was good. Nice, strong coffee flavor as well. For those that don't like a strong coffee flavor (I do), you might want to add a tad bit less to the recipe to lighten it up. For those that like full flavor, go with the above. Carmen was right about the restaurant having the best flan as well, and I think she's striving to hit that mark. I say Hear! Hear! to that."

Previous
Next Post »

3 comments

Write comments
Chelsea Marrs
AUTHOR
May 29, 2013 at 12:05 AM delete

Wow!! This looks/sounds soooo scrumptous. I never knew flan had to be refrigerated so long! Thanks for this one :D

xoxo Chow Down SF

Reply
avatar
Eric Pepple
AUTHOR
June 12, 2013 at 2:24 PM delete

I haven't had flan in forever and I have never had a coffee flan! Definitely want to give this a try. Feel free to stop by my link party and share some of your delicious recipes!

Happy Blogging!
Happy Valley Chow

Reply
avatar
June 21, 2013 at 4:08 PM delete

Hi Carmen, thanks for your kind comment on my blog. Believe it or not, I was 'eyeing' your gorgeous coffee flan even in Italy on the relative's Italian computer...all in Italian, even my entire blog was in Italian and had trouble switching it to English!

I also love a good Spanish Flan, and yours looks superb and sooo delicious. Just the perfect creaminess, and the glaze. Thanks for the useful tip, I'll be sure to not make that same mistake, cause I really do want to make this...thanks for sharing your recipe! xo

Reply
avatar