Pineapple Upside Down Cake Recipe: An Elegant Tea Time Dessert

Growing up, I often saw pictures of Pineapple Upside Down cakes in my mom's cookbooks, I have always been drawn to this very lovely brightly colored cake, but alas my mom had never made it. The Pineapple Upside down cake is sometime also known as the Pineapple Turnover cake. It is a delicious creamed cake mixture that is baked over top of a brown sugar and pineapple base. Once it is baked and turn out, the fruit makes a very attractive picture with it's lovely rich butter, sugar and fruit topping. You could also use pear halves and apricots instead of pineapple.

I have had Nigella Lawson's Pinapple Upside Down Cake recipe bookmarked for ages, and I finally made it this weekend and it was totally awesome! I made some tiny changes to better suit my taste. I   used sugar substitute instead of real sugar and Raspberries instead of Cherries. The lemon and vanilla flavors of the cake are a nice touch with the fruit. I used the minimum amount of sugar, and I think it’s the perfect amount of sweetness.

Ingredients


  • Butter for greasing the pan
  • 2 tablespoons sugar
  • 6 slices canned pineapple rings
  • 1/3 cup candied cherries ( I used raspberries)
  • 2/3 cup flour
  • ½ cup (1 stick) soft butter
  • ½ cup sugar ( I used 1/3 cup of Splendid (Sugar Substitute) )
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • ¼ teaspoon baking soda
  • 3 tablespoons pineapple juice from the can of pineapple slices

Preparations

  1. Preheat the oven to 400°F. Butter a tart tin that is 9 inches wide at the top and 8 inches in diameter at the bottom.
  2. Sprinkle the 2 tablespoons of sugar over the buttered base, and then arrange the pineapple slices to make a circular pattern as in the picture.
  3. Fill each pineapple ring with a candied cherry, and then dot one in each of the spaces in between the rings.
  4. Put the flour, butter, sugar, eggs, baking powder, and baking soda into a food processor and run the motor until the batter is smooth. Then pour in the 3 tablespoons of pineapple juice to thin it a little.
  5. Pour this mixture carefully over the cherry-studded pineapple rings; it will only just cover it, so spread it out gently.
  6. Bake for 30 minutes, then ease a spatula around the edge of the pan, place a plate on top, and with one deft move, turn it upside down.
Husband Says: "Tasty yo! I like my desserts SWEET, super sweet, so imagine my dismay when Carmen said she cut down the sugar! THE HORROR! I will not tolerate this! This is unaccepta... er, wait, this is good. Well, I take that back then. Only minor horror and such and so forth. I like it, lower sugar count and all. That says something yo. Like for realz."
Previous
Next Post »

4 comments

Write comments
September 4, 2013 at 11:22 AM delete

Hi Carmen, I adore your pineapple-upside down cake...so perfect, moist, pretty, and super droolworthy delicious. This has to be my all-time comforting desserts! (btw. you have a little 'glitch' misspelled word on the title) xo

Reply
avatar
Eric Pepple
AUTHOR
September 4, 2013 at 12:45 PM delete

One of my all time favorite desserts, definitely want to try yours!

Happy Blogging!
Happy Valley Chow

Reply
avatar
Chitz
AUTHOR
September 8, 2013 at 5:21 PM delete

Wow, just looking awesome.. Always wanted to make a fruit upside down cake, u have made it fab !

Reply
avatar