Monday, December 2, 2013

You like pumpkin, I like pumpkin, we all love pumpkin. As Central Park slowly turns from green to gold, it signals that Halloween is just around the corner and Thanksgiving is fast approaching. And pumpkin season is reaching fever pitch here in New York City. Wherever you go, you can see pumpkins on every corner of every block, and you can smell pumpkin in the air, in every coffee shop and bakery.


The symbol of the season is a featured ingredient in everything from pies to cakes. Why not try your hand at making pumpkin bread? I came across this Golden Pumpkin Bread Recipe over the weekend, and then I thought of all those beautiful walnuts from our family ranch that I still have in our freezer. Then light bulb went off! It was time to bake.

I switched out the sugar with sugar substitute, added our walnuts, changed cloves and ginger to cinnamon and nutmeg.

Without any delay, here is the Pumpkin Walnut Bread Recipe.    


Ingredients

  • 1/2 can pumpkin puree 
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1/2 cup of butter, melted
  • 1 1/3 cups of all purpose flour
  • 1 tsp of baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp of baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp of ground nutmeg*
  • 1 tsp of ground cinnamon*
  • 1/2 cup of brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup of sugar (I used Splendid sugar substitute)*
  • 1/2 cup of chopped Walnuts*

Preparation


  1. In a large bowl, mix eggs, butter, pumpkin and sugars together with a wooden spoon, as the butter is already melted, there is no needed to use a electric mixer. set aside. 
  2. In a separate bowl, mix flour, baking powder, baking soda and spices. 
  3. Gradually add flour mixture to egg mixture, mix well with hands. 
  4. Add the chopped nuts and mix well. 
  5. Transfer batter into a greased bread loaf pan. (I sprayed mine with Pam Butter Spray, and my baking always came out beautifully)
  6. Preheat oven to 350F, let it  bake for 1 hour. Test with toothpick to ensure loaf is ready. For the newbies out there, if you lift the toothpick up and it's doughy, then it isn't ready!
I make this recipe into pumpkin muffins as well. Just bake the muffins for about 10 minutes less than you would with the bread loaf.

Husband Says: "I took the photos! Just had to clear that up real quick. Ahem. So the pumpkin bread. I WAS TRICKED AGAIN! There's no sugar in this thing. I was all like, 'Babe! This is so good! Babe! I love you!' Then I heard the TRUTH that there was no real sugar and I started whining like a little girl. Then I realized I was being stupid because I didn't even know there was no sugar in the first place after I ate a massive slice of the loaf. So there you have it. I am a pumpkin FANATIC and loved the loaf without even knowing my sneaky monkey wife switched out the sugar. Bless her heart."

3 comments:

  1. Carmen , those pumpkin goodies sure look tempting ! Your hubby's comment made me grin :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Carmen, I haven't come to your blog lately...can't believe I missed your latest post with the perfect and super delicious pumpkin bread, and muffins too?...Wow! I love this recipe you adapted yours from and will be making it really soon, and link back to you!
    BTW. My daughter, hubby, and 2 little grandkids were in NYC for last weekend; complained how cold it was, but had a great time!
    Have a wonderful weekend~xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Elisabeth Thank you so much for your lovely comment! I look forward to your feedback and i hope you will enjoy the pumpkin bread and muffins! I am so glad your daughter and her family had a wonderful time in NYC! It really was quite cold a few weeks ago, but it has warmed up a little this week. and hopefully the warmth will stay a little longer! Have a wonderful weekend! x

    ReplyDelete