Turkey Stuffed Zucchini Boats: Another Easy Low-carb Deliciousness

With summer slowly slipping away, the days are getting shorter (sigh) the nights longer (double sigh), leaves are beginning to change color and the harvest season is here. That means the end of the summer vegetables are rapidly approaching (yet another sigh). But at least the result is a wealth of late summer squash. This week I want to celebrate this versatile vegetable with a zesty zucchini recipe! (the yellow squashes can be used too) and bring the best and the last of the summer’s bounty to your table.
This recipe was born from the low-carb diet madness I have been on since last summer. (Which I have to report I am feeling so much lighter and healthier, my digestive system is so much better. I don't get stomachaches and indigestion as much as before.) I have noticed one of the most popular posts here at Carmen's Kitchen is Low Carb Cheesey Stuffed Peppers Recipe, so I thought it would be nice to do a variation to that. The result is what you see here, a variation of that original recipe. Enjoy!

Ingredients 

  • 1 lb Ground Turkey
  • 1 Small onion, chopped
  • 2 tbsp Italian mixed herbs
  • 2 tsp minced Garlic
  • 2 Medium size Zucchini
  • 1/2 cup Mozzarella cheese
  • 1/2 cup Breadcrumbs
  • 1 egg, beaten (optional)
  • Salt and pepper to taste

Preparation

  1. Sautee onion and garlic until slightly brown. Add turkey, Italian herbs and cook until meat is no longer pink; Drain. 
  2. Set aside for a few minutes. Once it's cool, mix in egg, breadcrumbs, 1/2 cup cheese.salt and pepper 
  3. Cut Zucchini in half, length wise, scoop out center to make boats
  4. Fill turkey mixture into zucchini, sprinkle with remaining mozzarella cheese and breadcrumbs on top
  5. Bake in preheat oven at 350F for 30-40 minutes

Husband Says

"Quite tasty this is. Squash and turkey might not immediately seem like an ideal combination, but this one works. It is also Carmen's sneaky way of cutting carbs out of my diet as much as possible without me moaning about it. She's a clever one like that. And, indeed, there was no moaning to be found at the dinner table upon her serving of this dish. Only moans of squashy pleasure. You could really get into the squash theme and drink some British squash drink along with the meal. Hear! Hear!"
Previous
Next Post »

6 comments

Write comments
Eric Pepple
AUTHOR
October 4, 2013 at 3:38 PM delete

Those look fantastic! Definitely need to give these a try :)

Happy Blogging!
Happy Valley Chow

Reply
avatar
Anne Regalado
AUTHOR
October 5, 2013 at 9:35 AM delete

Carmen , I've been waiting for winter for quiet sometime so no sighing for me lol Your stuffed zucchini look very tempting ! Love the turkey and cheese combo .

Reply
avatar
Bárbara
AUTHOR
November 27, 2013 at 11:35 AM delete

Loved it, but what about the egg? Is it only one? I'm a beginner in the kitchen, I must follow the recipes bit-by-bit or I get lost ;)

Reply
avatar
November 28, 2013 at 1:49 PM delete

Hi Barbara, Thanks for liking the recipe! I am sorry I didn't explain it well enough. The egg is really an optional ingredient, by adding an egg to ground meat is to help to hold it together. You can leave it out if you don't like egg. Hope this helps! Enjoy! Happy cooking!

Reply
avatar
Bárbara
AUTHOR
November 29, 2013 at 9:04 AM delete

Hi there, just for the record: it was impossible to convince my husband to eat zucchinis, so I used bell peppers and made a mix of this recipe with your Low Carb Cheesey Stuffed Peppers Recipe :) It was a WINNER :)

Reply
avatar