Wednesday, November 27, 2013


Carmen's husband here. Time for my yearly guest post on the only recipe that ever truly matters. Time for my pumpkin pie recipe. Handed down through the generations, I've been eating this recipe since I was but a wee lad. As far as I'm concerned, there is no other way to make pumpkin pie.


In our family, my role is to play the part of pumpkin pie fanatic every holiday season, and it is a role I happily play. On Thanksgiving, there's one pie for me, and one for everybody else. On Christmas, I'll have another please. Once slice in a sitting doesn't do it, two will have to do.

What's the secret to such a glorious concoction of baked vegetable goodness?

Libby's. There I've said it. The best pumpkin pie recipe I've ever had is from here...


This is pretty much what you'll need and how you'll do it...

Now granted there are some adjustments my mom has made over the years to get the perfect spice mix, so use the recipe on the can and ADD: 1/2 tsp of cinnamon, 1/4 tsp of ground ginger, and 1/4 tsp of ground ginger.

Lets get this show on the road!

If you're like me, you're likely not 100% prepared to start cooking when it's time to start cooking. I need ground cloves but I have whole cloves and no press to crush them.


They're a pain in the ass to chop.


But it's totally doable!


Now that I've got my cloves chopped, following the instructions on the can exactly, not missing one step. I'll mix the cloves with the cinnamon, ginger, salt and sugar. Make sure that you take the salt from the salt shaker for added difficulty.


Now add that to the Libby's pumpkin, mix, and then slowly stir in some of this.


Or, if you're me then completely ignore that and just mix everything in at once and whip it violently. Either way, you'll end up with this...


Great! Hopefully buy this point you've preheated the oven to Bake at 425 degrees. If you haven't, do so now. Once its preheated, pour the mixture into your pie crust.


Great! Lovingly sprinkle some cinnamon on top. Now pop this pie in the oven for 15 minutes at 425, then lower the heat to 350 degrees and cook for another... AH! Crap! Crap! Crap! I forgot the 2 eggs! Quickly and carefully take the pie back out of the oven and do this...


Stop judging me!


Don't worry, this is all part of the process. It may not be how it says to do it on the can, but adding personality to your pie makes it taste better right? So as I was saying, beat two eggs into the mixture (which, you could have done earlier in the process if you paid total attention to the instructions) pour it back into the crust and put it back in the oven.

Again, now bake at 14 minutes at 425 degrees, lower heat to 350 and bake for an additional 40-50 minutes. We have a gas stove and it took 49 minutes at 350.

To see if its done, stick a knife in the center and if it pulls out clean then it's cooked. If not, keep it in there. But keep an eye on it for the last 10 minutes or so.

And the final product!


Ignore the knife marks, they'll be covered with whip cream anyway and this will be gone within the day. Let it cool for two hours, then put it in the fridge to cool, preferably overnight.

Now that you've got your first of two pies out of the way, you'll know exactly what to do for the second one that you plan on actually cooking for other people.

For more non-cooking related husband says goodness, you can follow me on Twitter if you like.

Wife Says: " I am IMPRESSED! Hubby is a fabulous chef in the kitchen! And an amazing photographer and writer, AND an even better husband! The Pumpkin pie looks and smells amazing, just like what Thanksgiving should smell like! I have grown to like pumpkin pie over the years, don't let it's cold, vegetable nature scare you off,  it's one of the creamiest sweetest thing I have tasted, especially when it is made by my love!  (P.S Hubby is totally not joking about having a whole one to himself.)  

2 comments:

  1. Awwww Carmen , he's so handy in the kitchen ! The pumpkin pie looks great :D So , who washed all the dirty dishes ? lol

    ReplyDelete