Thursday, December 12, 2013

If you are a Starbucks fan like me then you've probably tried their yummy banana walnut bread! I don't know what it is, but the combination of Banana and nuts in bread is just heavenly. They are very expansive here in NYC with a slice costing  $2.50! 


But I can make a whole loaf with just $5! 

Last year my father-in-law sent me a BOX of walnuts and included was the recipe for this banana bread. The recipe is from his wife Judy, who is an excellent cook and also has an ebook with more of her recipes. So when I suddenly had a craving for Starbucks banana bread the other day I knew I had to dig out Dad's recipe and put it in good use. It didn't disappoint! This is the best recipe for banana bread, even better than STARBUCKS.

Fresh, warm banana Walnut bread really is a simple way to keep your friends and family feeling loved. It's a perfect morning, afternoon or bedtime snack and it also makes your home smell amazing. I can't get enough of the aroma of this banana walnut bread baking in the oven. It smells so gooood.

Ingredients:

  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 1/4 cup shortening (Crisco) (The original recipe calls for butter, but I used Crisco)
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 cup of mashed ripe bananas ( Carmen's tips: I like to use really, really ripe banana's (almost black) - it makes all the difference in the flavor of the bread.)
  • 2 cups flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/4 baking soda
  • 1 cup chopped walnuts

Preparation:

  1. Mix flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl and set aside. Whisk the eggs in another bowl.
  2. Spray loaf pan butter spray (I used PAM). 
  3. Preheat the oven to 350 degree F.
  4. Cream the shortening and sugar with mixer until fluffy and light. Slowly pour egg mixture into the butter while mixing, until incorporated. Add mashed bananas.
  5. Add 1/2 of the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients, mix until the flour is just mixed in, then add in the remaining flour and 1/2 cup walnuts and blend until everything is mixed together. 
  6. Pour the batter to the prepared pan. And top the batter with the remaining chopped walnuts.
  7. Bake at 350 degrees for 55 to 60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.  Cool for 10 minutes on a wire rack.
  8. The banana bread is best if served the next day.


Husband Says: "Yeah. Banana bread baby! BANANA BREAD TIME! Carmen isn't kidding when she says it smells gooooood. If I'm in the other room working and I smell this baking in the kitchen I'll suddenly find myself standing in front of the oven waiting for the loaf to come out. Of course, that means I'm in Carmen's way and may get a slap on the wrist, but it's worth it I tell you!"

2 comments:

  1. just dropping by to wish you and yours a Happy New Year. http://www.shopfrommyhouse.com/

    Love banana bread! Lately I have been adding some flax seed and with just that little add, it really is tasty!

    ReplyDelete