Thursday, December 19, 2013


Brussels sprouts had to be my least favorite thing on my Christmas dinner plate, but I always eat them. Because, you know, respect. Christmas wouldn't be Christmas without Brussels sprouts, right? I have always hated Brussels sprouts, they smell like my cats' litter box to me and they taste like bitter rubber leaves. My hubby hates them too. In fact, I don't know any Brussels sprouts fans.
 
This year Thanksgiving dinner, we invited our friends over, and our friend Kim brought  some chopped-up, cooked vegetable stir fry. It looked very colorful and delicious, and when she told us it was Brussels sprouts with bacon, we were both amazed! It was actually delicious! She told us the secret of cooking Brussels sprouts is to chop them up, which eliminates the smell!
 

So I decided to give these cute looking veggies another chance. I found this very good Brussels sprouts recipe on Food Network and I cooked this for us tonight, we had it with roast chicken and it was a success.

I used more onion, added Lemon juice and Italian herbs, and successfully masked off the terrible bitter taste of Brussels sprouts. And of course the Bacon fat helps too. So don't be afraid of them anymore!




Ingredients


  • 4 strips thick-cut bacon, diced
  • 2 tablespoons butter 
  • 1 teaspoon of Italian herbs
  • 1 pound Brussels sprouts, halved
  • 1 large onion, chopped
  • 2 teaspoons lemon juice 
  • Salt and Pepper to taste

Preparation


  1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Cook the sprouts for 3 to 5 minutes. Drain.
  2. Cook bacon pieces in a large skillet over medium-high heat until crispy. Remove to a paper towel-lined plate
  3. In same pan (We want the bacon fat), melt butter over high heat. Add onion and cook until soft but not browned, about 2 minutes. 
  4. Add the Brussels sprouts, and cook, tossing or stirring occasionally, until tender and warmed through, about 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and lemon juice
  5.  Add the bacon pieces and toss. Serve immediately
Husband Says: "Well, damn. I just ate all of my Brussels sprouts. Maybe I'm getting old, or maybe they were actually good prepared this way. These are usually a pretty funky veggie without much taste value, but here I stand corrected. They just needed the holy grail of food stuffs, bacon. Glorious bacon. That and to chop 'em up to get rid of that underarm funk smell they give off. Yum. Again for the doubters let me restate, these were actually good. I actually at everything on my plate, unthinkable during my childhood."

2 comments:

  1. I love a good Brussels sprout. And they are also fun to grow in the garden.

    Happy Holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carmen , you had me on bacon ! Brussels sprouts certainly taste better with some bacon :D I love your blog new layout , pretty neat !

    Wishing you and your family a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year !

    ReplyDelete