Saturday, January 4, 2014


Happy New Year everyone! I hope you guys had the most wonderful New Year's eve and rang in 2014 in style! You might have noticed my long absence during the holiday season. My husband and I were home in California and had a great time with the family. Since we got back home just before New Year we didn't go party, instead we decided to stay away from the freezing cold and the crazy crowds and have a party of our own.
 
My husband bought 3.5 pounds of crab legs and made them with garlic butter. I made some of those yummy Sautee Brussel Sprouts with Bacon. We watched two movies and watched the Rocking Eve's show on TV. It was really wonderful.

I also made some of these Champagne Grapefruit Granita after I originally thought about making Grapefruit Champagne Sorbet. I did some research and found this yummy recipe on Natalie's Orchid Island Juice company. I changed the ingredients a little bit by using a little less champagne and adding more Grapefruite juice as I don't take champagne too well. 


As we all know alcohol is harder to freeze than juice, and I must have altered the texture by changing the recipe! I've made the texture more icy than sorbet should be. It is more like shaved ice! However, it still tastes fantastic! Oh well, so I decided to keep the recipe and call it Grapefruit Champagne Granita! (Granita is a semi-frozen dessert made from sugar, water and various flavorings and originally from Sicily. I had this once in Italy, and it was delicious!)

I hope you will enjoy this New Year themed recipe. It is great for any celebration! Especially if you don't take champagne very well like us, then this is a great alternative!

Ingredients


  • 2 1/3 Grapefruit Juice
  • 2 Cups champagne
  • 1 1/4 Cup sugar
  • 1 1/4 Cup water
  • 1 teaspoon of Lemon Zest (for decoration)

Preparation

  1. In medium sauce pan over medium heat, combine sugar and water. Stir until mixture comes to a boil. Simmer on low heat 5 minutes. Remove from heat and let it cool for 20 minutes. 
  2. Stir all ingredients together in a bowl. Pour into a shallow pan and put in the freezer. 
  3. After an hour or so, stir the mixture in the freezer and stir it with a fork or whisk as it turns slushy. When frozen to desired consistency, scoop into serving glasses.
Husband Says: "Well folks, the missus has done it again. I should add that it's been around 18 degrees in NYC and she comes up with the idea to make an ice dessert. Inspiration! The thing of it is though, is that while it is damn cold out, I've already been devouring this dish. That should tell you something. I had another glass full tonight. It's REALLY good. I love my icy desserts, ice cream, etc., so for me it doesn't matter that it's the deep of winter. Really good. Really.

5 comments:

  1. I don't drink but it does look pretty. Happy 2014.

    PS: Your word verification is super difficult to read. Ugh. Going to try one more time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Carmen, it's been a while since we commented to each other's blog...you've changed your blog to a crisp and light color, I love it! Your champagne Granita is beautiful and so inviting...so different from the ordinary plain champagne.

    Sound like an amazing New Year's dinner you and your hubby made...I love crab legs with drawn butter too! Happy New Year to you and your hubby!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds fantastic! Even though it's a little chilly in Pennsylvania right now for granita haha. Thanks for sharing :)

    Happy Blogging!
    Happy Valley Chow

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a vibrant and pretty granita , Carmen ! I love the combo , though I adore grapefruit more than champagne lol I just sigh at the thought of the crab legs with garlic butter :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, just as how beautiful Carmen is so her Champagne Grapefruit Granita also. I'm going to try this. I love to eat at Pizza Paradiso Orlando, do you think your Champagne Grapefruit Granita best partner with my favorite pizza too? hehe

    ReplyDelete