Wednesday, April 9, 2014

I had some serious sweets craving the other night and I had three options: I could run down the street in the rain and get myself some ice-cream, I could whip up something with the ingredients we had in the house, or I could ask my already tired hubby who works all day to go to the shop and get some sweets for me. But I would never do that to my hubby (Husband Says: "Realllly?"). 

I chose the second one, and this is how I came up with this recipe! But as much as I would like to take all the credit here, I can't. I read about this on a Filipino food blog after I made it! Come to find out that this is pretty much the same recipe for a popular Filipino street food called "Turon", where they use banana and jackfruits as filling. Sounds super delicious. Anyway, this is my take of the turon, and I hope you like it!

Ingredients

  • 2 bananas (sliced)
  • 6 strawberries  (sliced )
  • 4 squares spring roll wrappers
  • Brown sugar (to taste)
  • A pinch of coco powder
  • 1 qt oil (for deep frying

Preparation

  1. Preheat the oil in a large skillet to 375 F
  2. Arrange pieces of banana and strawberry diagonally across the corner of a spring roll wrapper, and sprinkle with brown sugar to taste. Roll from the corner to the center, then fold top and bottom corners in, and continue rolling. Dip your finger in water and brush the last edge to seal. Repeat with remaining fruit pieces.
  3. Fry a few rolls at a time in the hot oil until evenly browned. Remove to paper towels to drain. Let it stand for a few minutes. Sprinkle coco powder on top
Husband Says: "Love, love, love these! I love sweets and banana and spring rolls so really, can't go wrong with this one. Wifey didn't go wrong, she went oh so right here. You could even put some nutella in there and it would probably be amazing. Definitely comes highly recommended. Try it."
Next
This is the most recent post.
Previous
Older Post

2 comments:

  1. Fabulous recipe, carmen, great use of the springroll wrappers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carmen , I love your take on turon , using strawberry sounds fantastic ! I agree with your hubby , a lashing of Nutella will make this perfect :D

    ReplyDelete